PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines or Air NZ??? Any tips from fellow pilots?
Old 27th Feb 2018, 05:38
Gate_15L

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where do you want to live?

You would possibly be joining Air NZ as a Second Officer. So at a guess, $120-130K NZD. Thats a educated guess, others can firm those numbers up.

Living in Auckland isn’t what is used to be. Its become expensive, no doubt you would be used to that sort of situation living in SFO. However think of the same sort of costs relative to the pay, but minus any of the benefits of SFO in terms of infrastructure i.e public transport or culture. Housing isn’t cheap, average house now circa $1 million NZD in AKL.

Many commute to Auckland from the regions, for the better lifestyle and relative increase in bang for buck. As a SO, I believe on the long haul roster it is perfectly do-able. Just expect once or twice a year to have a reserve line for the entire 28 days and expect to stay in AKL for that roster.

Occasionally they are taking new hires direct into FO A320 because many of the current SOs are happy with the lifestyle and don’t change fleets. From what I hear, they are working relatively harder than the SOs on the A320. You probably couldn’t commute on the 320 as it is a mix of domestic and short haul international. Pay slightly higher for A320 FO.
Upgrade on A320, ball park 3-5 years. My numbers maybe out. Upgrade to widebody, hmmm I hate to think, 20 years plus? Depends on retirement rate, which has been steady lately and projected to increase.

There are other operators if you don’t want to do long haul or want a slightly better chance of a quicker upgrade.

-Virgin Australia NZ, AKL and CHC bases. 737NGs
-Jetconnect/QANTAS, might pay to do some research on the current IR situation. B737NGs. Has AKL base.
-Jetstar NZ, A320. AKL base...

Pros and cons of each too. Air NZ is relatively the most secure...

I think the basis of your decision maybe where do you want to live and eventually retire?