PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines or Air NZ??? Any tips from fellow pilots?
Old 26th Feb 2018, 18:59
WileE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi sfopilot207

I see your captains managed a 16-29% increase in pay and the FOs a 28-45% increase with 3% increases for the two following years. Well done!

“New pilot contract at Alaska raises pay to levels just below largest U.S. airlines” - The Seattle Times.

How did the negotiations go? Did ALPA /Pilots have to threaten strike action or was the management well informed of the current supply and demand issue and accepted a significant pay rise was overdue?

I only ask because down here in Aus and NZ we have been accepting only 2-3% inflationary adjustments for years and we have let pay in real terms lag far behind from what it used to be.

Air NZ had a 2.5% increase for the last 2 year contract and I hear their next one won’t be much different... again going backwards. They really need a 15-25% increase to get back to where they were!

AirNZ have been hiring a significant number of experienced guys from overseas (including lots of kiwis returning home after doing their overseas experience) as a result of limited suitable candidates from NZ .

If your wife is a kiwi and you are eventually going to live in NZ I would say get in to Air NZ ASAP as it is a seniority based airline!