PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2003, 08:22
QSK?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"No Airspace Safety" (NAS) System

triadic:

Yes, your are correct. I do realise that the Oz scenario I depicted is exactly what happens in our non-radar G airspace today. The only reason that I related the scenario as Class E airspace was to ensure an effective "apples vs apples" comparison with the current US model where Class E significantly predominates over Class G airspace (unlike Australia). It is also my understanding that the NASIG eventually intends to replace the majority of Australian Class G with Class E, so my scenario 2 was intended to reflect a future airspace environment pedominated by Class E. Cheers.

tobzalp:

Ref yr response. Yes I am becoming increasingly concerned at the number of unknown aircraft in the system - and it looks like it is going to get worse under NAS. In the latest "Aircraft&Aerospace" magazine (p22), Dr Neal Fulton of the CSIRO points out that, prior to 1991, the number of unknowns was less than 2%. It is now estimated to be between 60 and 80%. You'd think with that sort of increase, the NASIG would be more focussed on designing an airspace system that relies less on "see and avoid" as the primary means of separation.