PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cl-44-o and swingtail merged
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2018, 00:11
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rude-stuff,

If asked, I'd probably be flattered, but I would very much decline. 40 years ago, when I flew it, I flew with captains and flight engineers who had enormous experience and knew the aeroplane well.

The tech course on the aeroplane alone was 5 weeks in the classroom. It tested your mettle, handling skills, airmanship and technical knowledge at regular intervals - and that was when it was in regular service, looked after by people and engineers who understood it,
supported by manufacturers and service agencies. Spares were available and the aeroplane's were given regular hangar visits.

Nevertheless, just shy of 1000 hours saw 1 EFATO, 5 IFSDs, 1 hydraulics failure (the famous switch by the captains right knee was tripped) several 3-engine ferries and 1 flapless landing (at MLW) oh, and I nearly ran it off the end of the runway once at Lubumbashi. A long story, but my inexperience largely to blame.

All of that is long gone. I loved flying it, it was intractile and incredibly heavy on the controls. D.P Davies is alleged to have slammed it, nonetheless it was a true adventure and one I still bore people to death about. Best flying I've done in 27000 hours.

Fly it today? No thanks. Best if it is disassembled and trucked out to preservation at say Kemble or Bruntie.

Once more, I'm sorry to be such a killjoy, but it gives me misgivings to think of it working again.

Cheers all,