PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 15:38
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
500e - SARTU still exists at Valley (under a different name I think) and there will some form of basic SAR trg under MFTS but nothing like the long SAR courses that used to be run there and at the Sea King OCU.

The Navy have SAR as a secondary role but how much specific role training they complete I don't know but I don't think it is a lot.

We traded away an excellent capability with poor aircraft for a good capability with excellent aircraft which cost a big bunch of cash, but that was moved from MoD balance sheet to DfT, in what was effectively a PFI (not that those have proved very cost-effective in the past).

Military procurement is so broken and has been for many years with 'clever' staff officers in London doing creative accounting with budgets, Out of Service Dates and long term costings - ask Tucumseh on the mil forum if you want more details.

As I mentioned earlier, SAR was doomed because it wasn't seen as 'core' military business at a point where the Govt realised how bloody expensive going to war actually was!