PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2018, 06:53
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simulators were created to practice flying aircraft but now incidents occur when Pilots have a check ride coming up and use the aircraft to practice manual flying for the SIM check.

This makes me scream. It is not true. It is all down to company culture. I've flown from B732 where manual approaches was the norm from long way out, Wx & tiredness allowing, up to full EFIS. ILS's were less frequent at destinations so visuals were the norm, but also coming back home to big airports. A quite day at base and a short visual onto the ILS was standard.
I have friends who fly for various EU national carriers and they still are able to do that, on their SH fleets even up to their B747's. At the other end there are the multi-sector short-haul newbies who discourage such practices. There is no infrastructure or a/c or training reason why a mate on a B737 has to fly a lengthy IFR approach using FD's and/automatics while my other mate on B747 at the same airport can whip it in visually.
That is company culture. The simulator should create the building blocks of learning the a/c and the line should add the walls and put on the roof. Some do, some don't.