PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage: Who's going to fly our planes?
Old 17th Feb 2018, 15:50
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I completely agree with you. My reply was targetted at the posts immediately preceding my own. At “entry level” one of the differentials that matters, is going to be educational experience. The more the better! In any event, and understanding the many reasons why people don’t, a better and more advanced education background is something I would always encourage.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, there are many parts of the world where a degree is a fundamental requirement of the job process. That is likely to become more so in the future. In the USA the education culture assumes that a degree is a normal part of the process for many more professional opportunities than might be the case in other parts of the world. In parts of the Middle East, a degree is often mandatory for immigration permits for opportunities above specific grade levels. In the U.K. the mandatory minimum school leaving age is rising from age 16 to 18. There is an international drive to improve educational standards (even if that is to keep school leavers off the unemployment counts.) Employers are going to see Advanced qualifications and degrees as more and more the norm, and in turn. That is what they are going to expect.

Even for those pilots without degrees, many of the advancement opportunities that may otherwise be a part of their future careers, are likely to require educational certification as a part of the qualifying criteria. It is never too late to learn, but clearly it is advantageous to have acquired the education at the earliest opportunity.