PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2003, 20:15
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QSK

I understand that the Minister was advised NOT to table the Wiloughby report for the reasons outlined, but obviously other political reasons prevailed.......

In regard to

(b) Scenarion 2 (NAS Australia): I'm an IFR private flight (Seneca V) departing a non-controlled airport in the middle of Australia under VMC, and on departure, will be climbing to my flight planned level of FL150 on a non-published IFR route. I give Centre my departure call and enter E airspace shortly after. Unfortunately, unknown to both Centre and myself there is VFR traffic on my track cruising at 9,500 feet. As we all know, E airspace in Australia doesn't enjoy full radar coverage and VFR aircraft don't require a clearance or have to communicate with ATC, so Centre had no way of knowing the VFR aircraft was in conflict with me. Passing 9000ft, I saw what looked like dirt smudge on my windscreen. At the last moment, I realised to my horror it was an aircraft on my direct track and I immediately took avoiding action. Unfortunately, I was not successful and I fatally clipped the wing of the other aircraft whilst also suffering structural damage and injuries to my aircraft and passengers. I declared an emergency and finally managed to land successfully, however the other aircraft was totally destroyed in mid-air with the loss of all life. Drama impact rating: 10+
You do of course realise that the example you give here is possible in the existing Class G (OCTA) airspace ?

Even with DTI you would not get traffic on the other VFR aircraft and would have to rely on a visual sighting to avoid... so having class E is no change in that example whatsoever.

All the Class E is going to do is provide a separation service instead of a traffic info service. The existence of VFR in a non radar environment is not going to change one bit.

"No known traffic"

Last edited by triadic; 24th Sep 2003 at 21:19.