PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P38 Lightning question
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 21:28
cavuman1

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Angel Answer for Treadigraph

I always used my right hand on gliders' control sticks. It felt natural and reserved my left paw for actuation of the speed brakes/spoilers and release knob. I'm trying hard to remember back thirty-eight years to the Ross Barnett Reservoir in Jackson, Mississippi, where I took my initial soaring instruction, but I clearly remember climbing into the cockpit and having my elderly instructor place my right hand on the stick. He said "Y'all use this here contraption along with them there rudder pedals to maneuver this here aereoplane. (sic)" I do recollect with absolute clarity wondering why an all metal beast with forward swept wings would have flight characteristics any better than a greased anvil. It did, but not by too much!

After release from the Piper PA-25 Pawnee tow plane on my first flight, I spied a vulture spiraling upward in a well-developed thermal close to our position. I banked into the thermal and was immediately rewarded with a +2,000 f.p.m. variometer reading. My Good Old Boy instructor, who had flown a Waco troop carrying glider during the Normandy invasion and who had amassed thousands of hours subsequently (without being shot at!) whispered loudly from the rear seat: "Son, I reckon you is gonna be right good at this here soarin'!")

- Ed