PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P38 Lightning question
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 14:14
cavuman1

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Sinister Dexter

I am left side dominant, including handedness. The only activities I perform right-handed are batting a baseball and golfing. (My father wouldn't spend the extra few hundred bucks for left-handed clubs when I was 10.) Etiquette does not permit me to discuss urinary guidance issues.

I always found the Cessna aircraft I flew - 150's, 152's, 172's, 185's, and 320's - as well as a Beechcraft V35 - to be an ergonomic and neurologically sound fit for me. Fly the craft holding the yoke gently in my dominant left hand while taking care of navcom, throttle quadrant, trim, flap selection, good-looking passenger's left thigh, etc. with my right hand. Though I had no difficulty switching to the right side in both fixed and rotary winged craft, that did not feel as intrinsically comfortable as flying with my left hand.

Yet I find stick control suits me best of all. Starting in a Blanik LET L-13 and graduating to Grob 103's, I always found stick and rudder to be the most intuitive setup.

Note that the title's icon and the smiley-faced emoticon above are both left-handed. As my right-handed father used to say: "There are only two kinds of people in the World. Those that are left-handed and those who wish they were!"

- Ed