PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brindabella Woes...
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2003, 13:37
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meanie,

Interesting opinions you have.

I've heard the clubbish cliché far more in the various airlines I've worked for over 10+ years, than in the whole 10 months I've ever been associated with an aero club!

What comes between neglect and
a legit wheels up due mechanical probs
?

To play the devil's advocate, the pilot may have had a faulty fuel supply causing the engine to fail due to fuel starvation just as s/he was about to select gear down. Given that much light aircraft training, when I flew them, expected the 'trainee' to cope with the fault and continue towards the runway, poor old bloggs has gone pitch up, power up, dead foot dead engine, trouble shot, changed tanks and restarted the engine, all whilst turning inbound on the NDB approach.

With the relief of starting the engine, bloggs has forgotten the undercarriage and in a somewhat excited state, overlooks PUFF checks on short final.

I agree with you in as much as had bloggs a history of forgetting the gear, or done it on purpose to see what would happen, then there's no excuse and no sympathy. However, there is room for a lot of grey in this incident, as posted on this thread.

Without knowing the circumstances of the actual incident, it seems very hasty to call for dismissal.