PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lapsed UK ATPL and UK PPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 04:39
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered to these question while regulation are in flux.
How are they in flux? They changed years ago, it's now quite stable.

(a) If someone was issued with a UK PPL in the 1980's do they have to pay to 'upgrade to a EASA PPL, as the PPL was issued for life. I ask this as to change from a old style driving (non photo) there is no charge.
The old UK licence is still valid for life, but will only be able to be used on UK aircraft from April. This means permit to fly only, no EASA certified aircraft. You would need to pay to issue an EASA licence, as it is a new licence, the old one still exists, it would just no longer be valid on EASA annex 1 aircraft.

(b) On the basis that someone holds an EASA PPL or UK PPL they can not fly aerobatics without a rating, unless having attended a AOPA aerobatics, why can someone not provide evidence of credible aerobatics training.
I'm sure there was something about grandfather rights with logbook evidence, it's not one I've personally dealt with but I'm sure someone on here will know.

(c) Someone has a UKATPL valid to 2009, so it has expired, how does this person renew aUK ATPL, can they do this with a LPC, do they need a valid IR and class one medical.
A UK ATPL is valid for life. A UK issued JAR ATPL which expired in 2009 would now be considered an EASA ATPL, and when renewing any rating a new licence would be issued. This could be done with SEP(A) rating only, no need for an IR(A). You would obviously only be able to use the ratings you have.

d) Under a UK or EASA PPL, CPL or ATPL does the licence holder have rights to IR(R) rights in the UK.
No. This was the case with the old UK licence, but has not been the case since JAR came in, and is not the case under EASA.

(e) Can someone with a UK PPL or EASA obtain a clearance at the discretion of ATC.
Not sure what you're asking for. ATC do not know, ask or care what licence you have, they assume you are licenced for what you are doing. They will clear you IFR into an airway even if you only have a PPL(A). When things go wrong though, it will become clear in the investigation if you were operating outside of your privileges.