PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 14:25
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
FZRA

err...with the Captain........

I agree with a lot of what you say, and personally I encourage hand flying when appropriate, and I don't hover over the controls, but.., and I'm sorry to break this to you, not all our colleagues are aces. I won't be the only one here who has had the unexpected happen just when a colleague has lulled you into a false sense of security........... and it can result in scars/phone calls/visits to the office....
True, but that goes to giving captains due authority and respect. In days gone, these minor events would get a stiff-finger speech at a bar down route; the F/O would learn; the captain would be a wee bit more on top of his co-pilots and chief pilots slept thru it all.

Nowadays, we have “snitch” machines, aka FDM, planes that record every minor exceedance which lands at someone’s desk before we do at the destination.

No one here is so outstanding to have never made a mistake, but that’s where we learn. F/Os deserve the respect and confidence to not have a captain “hovering” over the autopilot button.