PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:58
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FZRA

Ok, if I may go back to your earlier post:
The one thing that really bugs me on a CAVOK day, climbing out of a quiet Spanish airfield with an initial climb clearance of FL90 or so, is the Captain hovering his finger over the AP button passing 1000'.
I don't know (or want to know) what you fly, or for whom, but is this "finger hovering" a regular event? I'd agree the idea of someone's finger waving uncommanded at a Boeing MCP A/P button at 1000' sounds darned odd ( and yes, off putting)? If this is a common occurance is it possible your company has an unofficial SOP of automatics in at 1000' and that is that what these Captains are pre-empting/expecting?

I'd offer this as a possible solution, others may have better ideas: Get ahead of the problem and sort this out/put out some feelers at the briefing stage when it is your sector e.g:.

During the departure brief, at some point: "we are doing the XYZ SID, blah, VNAV blah block altitude blah, "Oh and if all is going OK, no non-normals to deal with, you are not overloaded... I plan to hand fly up to around FL XXX"...

Doing that there should be no surprises at 1000', it gives your colleague a chance to voice any objections/observations on the ground and gives you a chance to perhaps gauge the confidence level of your partner in crime.

FWIW I also verbalise in similar fashion as part of my approach briefing...."..... It's a good day, I plan to "hand fly" it once we've left the hold.".

Last edited by wiggy; 12th Feb 2018 at 11:11.