PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - APS/APC Advanced MCC/JOC courses
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 07:16
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Cardiff aviation, with the initial thought process of it being a full-motion sim, reasonably priced, and I'd probably never fly a real 747. The few reviews I'd found looked great - they are a hidden gem, and the instructors are fantastic with years of experience, and all my sims were done by a 744 TRI. It's a great course, and if you put the effort in and learn the flows and SOP, you'll get a lot out of it. It's not just an attendance course, and although it's not really a technical course, you'll a good idea of what your type rating will be like.

I did the course coming from an instructional background, with a few thousand hours and had a few job options lined up, so I'm not one of the min hours sheep that go to VA just because they have a pretty 738 and fancy graphics, or simtech sausage factory. I also don't believe in such companies "placing" anyone with airline afterwards. In fact, someone I trained paid VA twice (and attended twice) to do an MCC/JOC within weeks of each other, just to be in with a shot at getting a job at Titan. If that's not another mark of how stupid the industry has become, I don't know what is.

My choices were

1. CATL - went there, they were great.
2. VA - offered me a 20% discount, but I decided against it.
3. PTT (formerly multiflight) as I worked there at the time, but they stopped providing MCC.