PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 23:16
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was still FO, I almost never did raw data as most captains were against it or very scared in case of screw up to be called by the safety department. We fly A320s and we are lucky our company allowed us to do raw data flights.
I remember being so nervous every time I will remove the FDs and A/thr and felt that way during all the approach cause I was doing it like once every 2/3 months and I was just not feeling confortable. When I got upgraded, I started doing raw data a lot; My confidence, and flying skills were back to good standard, I’m happily flying the Bus, raw data without the Bird now which at first was like a serious challenge as I was 99% of the time following FD bars
The amazing part is that some Fos, were moaning when I announced them that I will do a raw data during approach. For some guys it should only be in the sim! Excuse me? Or they are scared of the QAR... But it’s easy not to Bust a QAR, just do your call out if I deviate and I will correct it I would tell them. One guy even told me: “ You know what would be cool? If the aircraft can take off, cruise and land by itself it would be the perfect job”. I was like WFT?! I became a pilot cause I like to fly. Not just pressing buttons on the FCU. I undestand it’s not a playground, but flying raw data is a must for safety and good for us pilots, it’s also fun! I always encourage the Fos to fly raw data. Yesterday I gave my sector to a friend of mine who only did 2 raw datas in 1 year and 3 months time in the company. He was so happy and his confidence and flying skills in just 1 day doing 2 raw datas the same day have improved dramatically. There is noway, someone can claim to fly accurately raw data just by training in the sim. Firstly it’s not exactly the same and secondly IFR flights is not like riding a bicycle, you stop praticing you lose your skills, period! I know some airlines don’t allow raw data in the line. Well, I wish those guys good luck if they end up in direct law.