PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 20:40
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Particularly in the Airbus, hamfisted flying is uncomfortable for the passengers and unpleasant to watch from the other seat as the stick wobbles from stop to stop and the aircraft lurches it’s way down the ILS.

If that standard is maintained what would you expect on a CAVOK 3/4 max x-wind landing? It should not be a problem, but I guess it might be.

- Altitude within 100 feet
- Speed within 5kts
- ILS within 1 dot

I tested a guy on an OPC and failed his ILS. He repeated after a few words of wisdom. I printed both out. He tried to argue that the first was within limits. By the letter of the law, perhaps; except it was +100' then -100' then +80' etc at platform altitude on intercept HDG. Then the fun started as we slalomed left & right up & down the ILS bouncing off he 1 dot limit with the speed reasonably stable. 1 out of 3 in stability was not a good enough. And that was with an FD.
For education we had time & threw in a couple of raw data's. Those progressed quite well and at the end he was smiling. "We don't get much chance to practice that, and it has not been explained clearly, in steps." It was sad, that even with an FD the handling was agricultural. How would this guy, if he continued like that, pass a command assessment. It makes one wonder what the thinking is, or what standards are being set. And it's sometimes not the fault of the individual. They have not been given the tools and been encouraged to keep them sharp.

Vessbot: HSI went out long ago and the LOC & GS are displayed on the side of the PFD. You can change the MAP to display a raw HSI.