PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The over use of autobrakes
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2018, 17:45
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with Killaroo. The "old" guys still frequently dream of the world of aviation as it used to be... which is long gone history.

Noise regulations frequently require idle reverse.
ATC frequently requires minimum runway occupancy.
Companies have stricter SOPs because fleets have expanded, and the goal of the modern pilot is not a simple question of "knowing how to fly", the requirements are a lot broader.

Autobrakes do a good job in applying perfect initial deceleration. Not too fast, not too slow. Our company has an SOP that calls for AB 1 or off if the situation allows for it. AB 2 for wet runway, autolands,.. AB 3 short runway, plenty of non normal situations etc. you are allowed to disconnect as required by the situation. Which in my eyes is a safe habit, safer than standardizing AB OFF landings. As far as I'm aware you need to give me a bullet proof reasoning that brake wear is a direct of result of AB ON vs OFF, and not the environmental changes that aviation has gone through over the years asking for "general heavier braking".

As far as the "brake wear" reasoning goes: I am a pilot, I am not an engineer, I'm not an aviation cost expert. I make sure I'm able to stop the aircraft in a safe way and as operationally required by my company/ATC/situation/... If this on the long term results in higher costs, I'm not the one to solve that problem.