PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The over use of autobrakes
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:28
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Check airman, I am with you.

I dont necessarily think so much in terms of the autobrake or reverse, i tend to think of a braking solution and what i need to use to get off the runway at the exit i want to use. It might be an autobrake setting combined with max reverse, or idle reverse, depends on the circumstance.

I would rather start with autobrake and kick it out as it provides an even deceleration.

I dont have an issue with idle reverse. If you are using autobrake then it doesnt really matter whether you use reverse thrust as the autobrake modulates the wheel brakes to provide the desired deceleration rate. More reverse less brake, less reverse more brake.

As long as you dont have a brake cooling problem then idle reverse isnt a big issue. I reckon it gives the punters a better landing...more a psychological thing more than anything else, but the sudden spool up and roar of reverse leaves a different impression when compared to a touchdown and quiet roll through, no science in that opinion other than my experience as a pax