PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2018, 07:37
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
I think folk need to reflect: I am not saying it is right or wrong but modern airline piloting is about conducting a flight effeciently rather than actually flying.

If a pilot actually wants to fly an aircraft hands-on, on a regular basis, then an airline in todays skies is not the place to be.

As far as automation is concerned, would anybody welcome back cars that had manual chokes and manual ignition timing adjustment? Would any of us in our modern automatic cars want to go back to manual gearboxes, and a paper map on the passenger seat?

I am more than happy for the FADECs on the aircraft I fly to ensure safe and consistent engine starts, and give a decent autothrust, and for the FBW to remove the pitch/power couple and trim for me while I monitor it and other factors in todays busy airspace.

But manual skills must be maintained: I have often suggested that like we used to have to record 3 autolands every 6 months, the CAA should now mandate at least 3 manual/manual approaches, interception and landings every 6 months.