PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flying in todays jet transports
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2018, 15:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand flown NPA? Ha!

B732, in 80's, dive & drive hand flown NDB was an annual sim check. Hand flown SRA on line was not uncommon. Hand flown everything else, weather permitting, was the norm and expected. An airline with pilots in management meant they expected pilots to be able to handle what was thrown at them, thinking on the spot. They expected and demanded sharp skills both in mind & hand. It was an excellent time, having come from GA ops, to be an apprentice in jet airline ops. The equipment, in the air & on the ground in some places, was basic, but the crews were well up to it.
It is sad and disappointing to see that giant leaps in technology has seen a corresponding decline in piloting skills. There is absolutely no need for it. Not all companies allow it. There are still those who encourage the old ethos. The decline in skills is not a technology issue it is a Flt Ops & training culture within the airline. I flew old & new tech and my skills were kept sharp, even sharper, until they were not allowed to be by handcuffing SOP's. I know of mates who are allowed to fly their B747 like I flew B733. I know of others who fly their B737NG like a play station, because they have to. Don't blame the engineers and designers, blame the Flt Ops managers.