PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - More defence cuts
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 08:39
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Training Risky
Thinking out loud...We (the UK) need to figure out our role in the world post-Brexit, and make HM Forces fit for that role!

Do we batten down the hatches, scrap the Royal Marines and consign amphibiosity to the same dustbin as (proper) MPA, SAR, fleets of tanks and frigates; and just keep a Brigade on high-readiness as the armed-wing of Oxfam and a few Typhoons on H24 to meet the odd Bear H?

...or do we continue to be America's partner in the War on Terror (copyright 2001) once outside Europe and sail into victory on our new CVFs with a glorious fleet of 40 Lightnings (no risk of attrition then!), air-assaulting the next 'sh!t-h0le' country into the 2020s with lashings of Chinooks and Paras, kicking down doors around the world?

..or will we continue to salami-slice everything and do ALL of the above with a reduced real-terms budget while the great god 'SkoolsnOspitals' gets all the public's attention/money/noise?

I know which option I would bet on...
I completely concur. Especially with the opening salvo. Something that has spectacularly failed to be done since the end of the Cold War.