PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a crazy excuse for a career?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2018, 13:48
Trossie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This rubbish 'article' probably belongs on this Thread: Pilot shortage: Who's going to fly our planes? - BBC News

There are many aspects to this question.

Shelling out £100,000 to get into a fragile career is rather daft, but there will always be those who want to do it in order to be able to walk around 'posh' terminals in their uniforms and put 'Airline Pilot' on Farcebook. Looking rather tired and disheveled in your uniform at a 'chav' airport doesn't have quite the same 'touch' but there are still those who get a 'buzz' out of it.

But then there are those who genuinely enjoy flying. However, very often they have not shelled out such a large amount for that 'instant gratification licence' but have worked their way up and built up enjoyable, unforgettable and useful experience.

Then there is lifestyle. Generally in the airline world it stinks. Endless time away from families, totally unsociable hours, forgetting what summer is because you are so shagged out that it passes you by, having your work changed from day to day, and so on. However there are some hidden gems that get that balance quite right. 'Image' and lifestyle seldom go together.

Then there's the money. Undoubtedly it can be good. But often is it worth it? £100k when you never get a chance to see your kids playing in the garden of the large house that you own but only spend much time in in the depths of winter or on a weekday morning when they're all at school/work?

Then what is a 'career'? Is it a comfortable but rather staid 'job for life' with a good 'image', or is it something like one of those hidden gems that you look back at later and think "It had it's ups and downs with lots of chopping and changing, but overall it was interesting and good and I've still got my family who remember who I am"? Of all the Posters here, I think that jayteeto is the one that I would most enjoy having a long chat with in a cosy pub (or flying club bar?)