PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 4th Feb 2018, 22:53
GAPilot261087

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been doing a lot of reading on the forums over the last 2 years regarding ATPL ground school and Modular vs Integrated. Myself like many others can't fathom paying upwards of 100k when people who pay half of that figure end up in the same job. I have applied to integrated schemes run by OAA, FTEJ etc. I even got to the last stage of one with Flybe for the MPL course. When I look back, I am glad things worked out the way they did.

The best small bit of advice I can give as someone who has finished his planning to go ahead with modular training and has enrolled on ATPL ground school is this. Microsoft Excel. Create a master spread sheet and spend hours if not days looking online for training providers and match it up with accommodation, materials, flights, living cost and put it all into a easy to look at spreadsheet format etc. It gives you options and can always be edited or updated. Time is your friend when you are not already in debt. get yourself inspired for the journey. I now have a plan that if all goes well may end in a job for roughly 67K. Not the cheapest figure but it does account for a potential job that I have a good chance of getting an interview for should my flying abilities be at the best standard they can be and my exams all good passes.

Incase anyone was wondering what mines kinda looks like, I shall put most of it below.

CAA Class One Medical
£450-£500

(I already hold a Class 2 for my PPL and have no health issues to date)

ATPL exams -CAPT Ground School Course(Inc exams, equipment)
£2600

(It's a distance learning course but I luckily have a CAA exam centre 5 mins from my house and the classroom learning is also done 5 mins from my home)

Hour Building - Fly in Spain (75h PIC flying inc flights&accom)
£11000

(not the cheapest option but it's in european airspace which my PPL covers and provides good flying weather and a shorter time scale for completion)

ME/IR/CPL - Diamond Flight Academy (inc flights and accommodation)
£23189

(This school looks really impressive. The Instructors, accommodation and the aircraft all get great reviews and hype. Definitely worth looking into. I was sold at the word DA42NG and someone else online saying some of the instructors worked for Diamond designing the aircraft and have invaluable tips and knowledge.)

MCC/JOC - Simtech, Dublin
£4026 (Inc accommodation/flights)

(anyone wanting to go Ryanair should look this school up. A lot of placements with FR and it's in Dublin... No need to say any more) -

Ryanair Type Rating Scheme
£26k (converted from price in euros)

(I actually happen to currently work for FR so having friends and colleagues where I want to be is something I am very fortunate to have. Anyone who is 18+ and looking to become an airline pilot should look for seasonal work on check-in desks at your local international airport. Best move I ever did at 18 and it sure beats working on a shop floor when you can be gaining crucial airline ground experience which proves invaluable for interviews and CV's I have been told by numerous interviewers and pilots.)

Finally, Good luck Guys and Gals on the same boat as me! Wish everyone the best of luck with training