PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What a crazy excuse for a career?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 12:54
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many lawyers and people in the medical professions have left to become pilots? Almost every selection day I attended there was at least from one of those professions looking to get out.

All in all, if you're aim is to just make money, then there are plenty of other ways to do it, but if you love flying and have a genuine passion for it, then I think making a career of it isn't particularly the worst decision you'll ever make ... and you will earn enough to live quite comfortably, certainly more than the population average.

Almost everyone I graduated from school with is now either in their last year of university clueless as to what to do with their soon to arrive shiny degree, or working in the local B&Q, some also have secured apprentice jobs ... the salaries aren't even worth mentioning really.

Pay is quite poor at first, but you're ignoring the facts if you think pilots are among the worst paid.

And speaking of the BBC ... Does your job pay less than it did five years ago? - BBC News

"Pilots enjoyed an average pay rise of 26% between 2011 and 2016 - taking their average annual salary up to a cool £86,855."

Note that's the average, get a command somewhere and you're way past that average at most places ... or are you suggesting that the BBC employed writer is paid more?