PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision between EMS helicopter and light fixed wing in southern Germany
Old 30th Jan 2018, 22:07
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Same again
Anyone who has been flying for a while will have noticed that the younger generation of glass cockpit helicopter pilots spend far more time with their eyes inside than outside. Programming the FMS, selecting various displays and auto-pilot functions are but a few distractions. They rarely have to fly manually these days so seem to have to find things to do. Now we have introduced the iPad into the mixture.

Add to that more traffic and - TCAS or not - I fear that mid-air collisions will become far more common.
Only the ones, mostly elderly pilots, which donˋt like new Technology, need more time cause they are not used to and not willing to learn properly.

If you do your homework, i.e. installing and using the training Apps and videos provided and get Producern, you actually save time, cause you donˋt have to look up i.e. frequencies, approaches and so on.
You donˋt have to listen to morsecode anymore to identify VORs i.e., cause the Information is on the screen.
You donˋt have to look inside for aircraft limits, cause you get a warning approaching any or have all the information right in front of you and not splattered around an ancient cockpit.
Lotˋs of gadgets to make life easy, so you can look out and enjoy the flight.
Holding entry, done in seconds, no need to think about which entry to use, no need for calculating time and heading corrections, all done by the computer....
But you have to know your system, where which menue is to be found....

But I also see your point, cause I fly in a MultiCrewCockpit and had the experience, when ATC ordered an hold over a reporting point (Field IMC with a couple airliners approaching, while we were VMC)
I could have flown that by hand but asked my Co to set a holding.
After minutes it still wasnˋt programmed, so I let him look out and had set it up in 5 seconds by myself....
I really like my Garmin ;-)
If you have an iPad, look for Garmin GTN Trainer von Garmin DCI
And Flying the Garmin GTN650/750 von Flight Training Apps, Inc.
and you might understand why