PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision between EMS helicopter and light fixed wing in southern Germany
Old 29th Jan 2018, 11:50
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything else like TCAS and other aids....assist that Mk I eyeball.
Jumpseating in a B747 over Russia, the three of us are looking out the window for a stray airliner about to encroach our path while the radio is going bananas. Capt spots plane and points it out, doesn't complete his sentence when he says the TCAS will go off. Although positive visual separation is maintained and the RA followed, I thought it a bit slow for the B747 to actually begin to react to the command.

Another place and time was heading downtown for some orbits of the CBD and was told by the tower to do left hand orbits. On my left about a mile away was a big yellow blimp doing the same thing at same altitude. Thought I had the speed (bad assumption in a H300) and some time to peruse the scenery only to look left again and notice that big fat blimp had quickly snuck right up to me and was really moving (tailwind). Flicked the little H300 hard left and went behind that big yellow bag of gas.

And yet another place and time, had a FW training hack catch on fire just after takeoff. Turning around in a smoked filled cabin, flying "blind-ish" and powerless straight through the RW training area to line up on a non-duty RWY, it then very nearly turned into a collision with a landing FW because ATC had been distracted by the event happening too quickly.