PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2017 Safest year ever
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2018, 15:48
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it is not quite on thread topic, but as it's been published here: that ASN crash report above is one of the worst I've ever read. It truly is horrendous. If the F/O had the temerity, character, wherewithal, (I'm out for words) to take control <400' and then relinquish it and take it back again, why did he not make a GA when he had the chance and had control? The train wreck was under construction in sow motion; there were so many opportunities to bail out, even as low as 200'. One wonders what the training culture was in this outfit. I know it's difficult for westerners to understand such local cultural issues, but I'm still utterly confused by apparent suicidal tendencies of supposedly educated & intelligent professionals, even if it at the hands of others. Allowing someone to smash your bones, and watching them do it, is semi suicidal, IMHO.
Apologies for thread drift.

Back to aviation safety I hope Trump passes on the magic baton otherwise we are all doomed. The risk is that if aviation continues to expand at such a rapid rate, especially at the cheap end in some less than stringently regulated territories, it will be impossible to have a strong oversight on standards. Rapid expansion of such airlines, driven by greed and perceived mega gains for either owners or share holders, will be the priority over a safe solid high standard Flt Ops & training depts. Walk & talk, with a licence and few options, prepared to work for peanuts, then have a seat at the sharp end and enjoy the ride.
Cynical? Well you only have to read similar accident reports, and wonder how many near misses were there, and read the reported incident reports to believe the is not cynicism.