PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Engine Surge followed by Overheat
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2018, 11:34
AeroTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

There was a rather infamous incident at Boeing during the PW4000 development in the 1980s (I had several friends on the event flight). They were flying a prototype PW4000 engine on the Line No. 1 767 (VA001) - with a JT9D on the other wing. During takeoff from Boeing Field, the PW4000 started surging at about 50 ft. - un-recoverable surge. The pilot flying didn't say a word, but calmly reached over and retarded both throttles to idle . As the aircraft started settling towards the Georgetown neighborhood, the PM took control and slammed both throttles to the firewall - the PW4000 furiously barking the whole way before it was shutdown and they circled back around and landed.
That particular Boeing flight test pilot was demoted...
It was a flight test, so I assume ballast tanks (filled with water) were installed to simulate passengers weight and cargo load. I don't know about the fuel weight. With that being said and I stand to be corrected:
a) Can this plane still climb with both throttles in idle?

b) I am wondering if flight test pilots have to follow the same procedures (I mean abnormal procedures from QRH after problems or emergency conditions such stall, engine fire...etc) as other regular pilots OR flight test pilots have different abnormal procedures than the QRH?

Feedback appreciated.