PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO removed from BA Flight
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2018, 19:31
ph-sbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by His dudeness
Those that you prescribe as having a more realistic outlook simply have an issue with their rights and wrongs.
Can you elaborate on that?

Every time I touch my throttle, I make sure I am 100% sober in terms of alcohol and medication. And I do my darned best to make sure I've had more than enough sleep. Of course, I've been tired on some occasions, but the adrenaline (yes, I still feel that) of advancing the throttles still makes up for it.

It's not just the lives of those in the back, but also of those on the ground.

Pushing back to the idea of using a breathalyzer before every flight is, while understandable from an individual's position, indicative of a failure to see the bigger picture.

I like to compare this with the concept of eminent domain. Eminent domain is a legal practice where a government can "seize" private property for the public good. In that case, there are compelling reasons to infringe on the individual right to ownership in the name of the public good. Using a breathalyzer prior to operating an aircraft, whether you're a PPL student or an A380 driver, should in my humble opinion be considered as part of IM SAFE, if you remember that. Hint: it's the A.