PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 21st Sep 2003, 10:48
VB_Capt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me add a little complete with typos. The wiz is telling the truth and the kaptin is lyuing, again.
I have many former Ansett and QF friends and I know that there was no callout fee for days off etc. They were paid at the same hourly rate as blocked. Base divided by 660 (55hours a month X12). If he flew SYD-CB he was paid 45 minutes and probabluy drove longer than that to get to work. The next day if he passengered home he was paid 45 mins divided by 2, the same as all ground duty, sims, all half price, and no dta for other than flying duty. Hourly costs for pilots in QF & Ansett were a lot less post 89 than they wer pre 89. How many times does he have to be told. km your figures are wide of the mark adn rubbery at best and downright lies and deceptive at worst.
The one thing I will agree with him (km) on thius time around tho is that if a heap of execs were taken out of the equation, the revenue wouldn't fall, but costs would.
I would never advocate a reduction in pay for pilots, or probably anyone except execs, but its worth noting that a salaried GP working in a shopfront clinic is paid about 70,000AUD. How's that make you feel?
It's only in the last 14 years that the AFAP has represented GA because its had sweet FA airline pilots to represent. Prior to that it onlyrepresented airline jox and will do again if they join because they elevate themselves to the positions within the organizations. The GA guys are generally happy to let them do so.
I've said it before tho and I say again that it's not what you do or what you are worth to your company. They will always want you for less. Forget work value, responsibility, rpofessionalism, safety and anything else yoiu want to name. They want to improve bottom lines and will do it at your/our expense. The days of unions having much input are gone for the time being. When market forces again turn, ie, shortage of pilots, they might again start to have some input and influencde.
Now can we get back to the thread since a few misconceptions/lies have been righted. mYet again.

Last edited by VB_Capt; 21st Sep 2003 at 11:09.