PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO removed from BA Flight
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2018, 15:29
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where else are the rules so strict?
I wonder what happens if a surgeon, government minister or senior business leader shows up smelling of drink?
I bet they're not handcuffed for all to read about in the news and I bet they don't get put in prison for 6 months and then fired.
I have some insight into a large EU public health system. Alcohol and particularly Class A drug consumption before (and on duty) is not uncommon in large hospitals by senior clinical professionals and others. They are known to colleagues, and appear to enjoy a level of protection through enhanced peer monitoring and supervision. They are not reported. Government Ministers in the UK are well known to frequent the numerous House of Commons watering holes, quite possibly to return to the chamber to vote following a drink or two perhaps? Although probably not as common as in the past, I don't believe Board Rooms are entirely devoid of decanters and drinks cabinets these days - indeed, I've been handed a sharpener whilst 'on duty' myself (not a safety related function I would add) by the CEO of a large airline group in the past year whilst he reached for one himself. Even in the subjectively puritanical land of the free I've known senior managers who are able to produce a bottle of Scotch and a couple of glasses from a desk drawer in their office. Class A drug use is well practiced in the financial world by those who may well be managing the funds our pensions depend on...clearly it's a cultural behaviour and entirely personal choice, however alcohol and other less tolerated drugs are more prevalent than perhaps we would like to believe in many different and varied walks of society but I would suggest that commercial aviation remains one of the most conservative of industries. Fatigue is by far the greater risk to flight safety and a layman who has undertaken a Fatigue Risk Management Course would be able to identify potential smoking holes in EASA's FTL Regulations.

Last edited by Reverserbucket; 24th Jan 2018 at 15:41.