PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 21st Sep 2003, 08:55
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we just have to realise that wages and conditions in most other industries have changed alot aswell. Especially Job security and fat retirement benefits are also starting to become a thing of the past. Just ask Mr. Grasso the Ex NYSE Chairman who was forced to retire due to his large Pay Packet package all $140 Million USD.

Enterprise bargaining and work place agreements are now very common. Why do you ask? Well for alot of Australians the Unions have done Bugga all for us in the last 20 years. Someinfact havent even been giving annual reports. This mind set that the Union is dead is really only the Unions problem.

It all comes down to Marketing really. The AFAP which I have admiration for does do some good, but I think it needs to do more recruiting and to Change its image and its legacies from the past. For example they need to do more grass roots recruiting at Flying schools etc. From there I think thyell be on a winner. They need to do more drive etc. in these areas. The AFAP needs to be proactive and come down to the schools and do talks. If they can snare membership at this level. Im sure th erosion of pay at the other end of Aviation in the Bush could be greatly improved. Does the AFAP provide any seminars on enterprise bargaining and work place agreements for all memebers includung Junior CPLs?

Only then will we see a difference. I know that the AFAP says it represents Pilots from all of the industry but really its allways been an Airline Pilot Represtative rather than the later. Until this changes and it embrasses all of us, only then it will a cohesian of Australian Pilots maybe able to change some conditions and improve the livability of our Juniors.

If Wages and conditions are changing, so do our methods of negotiation and enterprise bargaining and Representation from our Unions

No progress without change I say

Regards
Sheep