PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Why not go to Lydd?'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:29
chevvron

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cessnapete
For a practice RNAV approach in VMC, you surely do not need an approach controller!
For example if I am landing at Shoreham on a visual approach I can just follow the RNAV profile, coordinating with normal circuit traffic of course.
I don't think a FISO can ban that.
Shoreham don't do FISOing, it's either ATC or A/G.
ATC at Shoreham consists of controllers with ADV/ADI ratings (aerodrome control visual or instrument) and APP ratings (approach control procedural); some Shoreham controllers may have both these ratings but some may only have ADV/ADI.
For an aircraft to carry out an iap you need a person overseeing it with an APP rating (yes I am aware there is a proposal to relax this) irrespective of whether it's VMC or IMC.
If it's VMC, it's up to the captain of the aircraft to ensure there is a safety pilot present, but that is of no concern to ATC and has no effect on whether you can do an iap without an APP rated controller.
If Shoreham wish to 'bend' the rules, that is up to them, but in the case mentioned by TMMORRISS, they are obviously playing it by the book, after all if they don't know you, how do they know you're not an inspector from GA Dept at Gatwick trying to catch them out?