PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS on the skids?
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2003, 02:51
BIK_116.80
on your FM dial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“...so few dissenting [ie pro NAS] opinions”?

There are lots of dissenting [ie pro NAS] opinions.

But the majority of them are held by people who have much better things to do with their time than spend it posting here.

Here, yet again, we have an anti-NAS thread populated predominantly by contributions from air traffic controllers.

Whilst everyone is entitled to express their opinion, it concerns me that this is the professional pilots rumour network, and a casual reader might mistakenly get the impression that the plethora of anti-NAS posts from air traffic controllers are actually the anti-NAS opinions of pilots.

From my own perspective, I’d be interested to know what other pilots think about NAS. Not so much the “back in the good old days” style of post that reminisces about how good things were decades ago, nor the “gold plating” style of contribution that advocates a Rolls Royce airspace system without any regard for how much it costs, rather, I’m more interested to learn what perceived shortcomings (if any) other pilots see in NAS in regard to specific operational rules and procedures.

I have to admit to being somewhat less interested in the all-too predictable contributions from members of self promoting special interest groups like air traffic controllers.

My particular concern is that what’s in the best interests of air traffic controllers is not always precisely the same as (and in many cases is diametrically opposed to) what’s in the best interests of pilots.

The about pprune page says :

Welcome to PPRuNe, The Professional Pilots RUmour Network
and

Although PPRuNe was originally set up to cater for airline pilots, as more and more people who are involved in our industry became interested in our 'network' we accommodated them with their own forums and now they are the core of the website.
and

The PPRuNe community is made up of professional pilots and people from the thousands of other professions and trades that are all a part of one of the most exciting businesses in the world. If you have an interest in the business then you should be reading PPRuNe. After a while you will learn to sort out the 'wheat from the chaff'.
I’d like to be able to easily “sort out the wheat from the chaff”.

I’d like to see some way of quickly and clearly identifying which opinions come from air traffic controllers and which opinions come from pilots.

As a suggestion, Woomera, would you consider creating a D & G Air Traffic Controllers forum where interested persons can go and flagellate themselves until their heart’s content and co-ordinate their self-interested lobbying, but from where they are less likely to distract pilots wanting to discuss topical issues with other pilots, and from where they are less likely to distract the casual reader into a mistaken belief that their consistently anti-NAS posts express the opinions of pilots.