PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 21st Sep 2003, 01:19
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Let's see if I've got this right, using YOUR figures, Wiz. Oh, and you're telling us that an ex-AN pilot who was called out did NOT get that EXTRA callout fee?!
Now someone's telling whoppers.

Anyway using YOUR figures, and the immediately preceding example:-
"For 55hrs/mth my base was 144K/yr. That's 12k/mth or $218/hr.
If I flew more than 55 hrs/ month (which I did EVERY month bar two in my entire time at AN) I was paid...$218/hr
"

As I used 80 hrs/month as the example, let's stick to that, and say that you flew an extra 25 hrs each month. at...how much did you tell us?...$218/hr...let's see now, that comes to another $5450.00 per month.
Whether you actually took leave or not, it was accruing, and you were entitled to it. And of course you had the obligatory simulators, Emergency revals, CRM, etc.

So using my same "bendy figures" of working for 10 months, your overtime (which I did EVERY month bar two in my entire time at AN) adds another $54, 500 to your base of 144K/yr = $198,500 per year.
Dividing that figure by the 800 hours (80 hrs/month x 10 months) in FACT works out at $248.00/hour for 1 pilot!
Let's now add in the F/O's salary (about 65% of a captain's) of $161.20/hour, using the same structuring.

Total ex-AN hourly crew costs - using YOUR figures, Wiz - come to $409.20. So in fact, you guys were costing even MORE than we originally thought!

Remember my EXACT wording given in the example, Wiz - if not, let me refresh your memory, "..and the ex-AN pilots at 55 hours and say 50% more moolah".
Thank you - you really are a "Wiz" for allowing me to prove my point, using YOUR figures.
"Not the point. The whole thrust of this thread is that pay and conditions for pilots are being eroded.."

And unfortunately the situation in Australia was exacerbated immensely when the "Wiz's" allowed the representation of domestic pilots to be taken away.
The bait was Greed, and once swallowed the hook went in.

It was the same pilot representation that was formerly able to keep the Wiz's in check, and to thereby protect the system for ALL to benefit by.
With that protection gone, it is obvious where we have ended up.
The playing field was set at "Ground Zero" for the VB pilots, thanks to the previous "custodians of Australian aviation" (a title they were annointed with by one R.J. Hawke, at the time). It was not THEY (VB pilots) who eroded the conditions, it was what they were offered, in the absence of national, unified, domestic pilot representation.

As Gnadenburg says, "Let's start with an association between AIPA and the AFAP on professional matters-air safety and airspace reform etc. See how it goes from there. With urgency."
Perhaps not a bad start. But to also protect the "grass roots" CPL guys, they also need to see the benefit of having a watchdog that will keep an eye on their present and FUTURE, by joining one professional pilots' association.