PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion FAA to EASA
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2018, 06:47
cameloid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA to EASA - more questions

I'm U.S. FAA certificated commercial pilot (SEL/MEL/IR) with 920 hours TT looking to convert my U.S. certificate into EASA license. As I result of this conversion, I'm interested in obtaining CPL/IR/ME/MCC with "frozen" ATPL theory (as fast and cost efficient as possible, of course).

However, the more I explore this area (including this forum) the more questions I have. Hopefully somebody will help me to figure out.

So the questions are the following.

1. I understand that as a first step I must pass 14 ATPL theory exams, and many training organizations offer their help in this process (even those who don’t provide further flight training). It seems that they all use pretty much standard kits for distant preparation (like AviationExam, Bristol GS, Oxford CAE, etc), and also provide some «review» or «brush-up» sessions before real exams with the CAA. What I don’t understand is the difference between these organization and their actual role in preparation process (except that I must obtain some amount of training at ground school anyway, as per regulation). In other words, how to choose between these ground schools?

2. From your experience, how travel-intensive the whole endeavour is? In other words, how many times should I attend ground school, what’s average duration of these sessions, and is it possible to combine them with exams? Just trying to estimate amount of travel I need and thus the cost.

3. Is there any difference between EASA members in terms of ATPL theory exams, or I can choose whatever country I like in terms of travel and visa convenience? 
Is it possible to sit ground school at one country and pass exams at another? For instance, Greek school offer quite attractive prices, but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about their CAA.

4. Should both theory and practical exams take place in the same country, or theory test results may be transferred between EASA members?

5. Is there any expiration period between ATPL theory exams and CPL check ride?

6. Do the requirements for practical training/check rides (for the purpose of conversion) differ between various EASA members, or they are all the same?

7. Any advise on good schools (both practical and theory) or positive experience with the CAA world be very helpful too.