PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA must consider cost of regulation: Warren Truss
Old 10th Jan 2018, 04:49
Sandy Reith

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
You dreaming again Dick? I don't even know who Warren Truss is and CASA will never make anything affordable, it is business as usual. Until the industry unites nothing will change and unity is never going to happen with the diverse mob of egos that make up aviation.

Fly your trike, play on your farm, whatever, this industry is almost finished and too far gone to save.
Dear Aussie Bob,
Warren Truss was another do nothing National Party Minister with Aviation in his portfolio during a period of Coalition (Liberals + Nationals) Government. When I led a deputation to him when he was Minister around 2005 and attempted to iterate all the bureaucratic ills of General Aviation, the same but not as bad as the present day disastrous rules, with view to growth policies, he cut me short after one minute. He then proceeded to tell us GA professionals how all was rosy in the garden. All his CASA scripted pronouncements when Minister were of no value whatever because he and CASA had no intention of spoiling the most blatant and irresponsible waste of public money by this fee gouging make work salary factory. The failed model of governance, the independent Commonwealth corporate, outside of the Public Service, making up all sorts of unnecessary permissions and then applying monstrous fees to bolster their fat budget. This ‘user pays’ idea off the back of Thatcher privatisations, and enthusiastically sold to Ministers of 30 years ago, has cost the whole country uncountable $billions. User pays can never work when there’s no competition and the the regulator is not controlled by Parliament.

As for ‘the industry must be united’ surely you don’t expect anyone to believe that old saw? The whole point about government is to resolve problems and provide a workable framework for people to freely go about their business.

Too bad you’ve thrown in the towel ‘too far gone’ (as above) and then find it appropriate to denigrate a person trying to help GA and all who might benefit down the track. Into the bargain I don’t imagine any personal gain for Dick Smith. I don’t imagine Aussies to be so spineless as just cop it and drop out. So get with the strength and throw your weight in behind anyone who wants to see Australian aviation come out from the doldrums and flourish once again.