PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Departing early on a VFR flight plan
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 18:03
ArminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3wheels
Anyone know if VFR flight plans dont show up until 30 mins before estimated departure time at airfields in controlled airspace? The same as IFR ones?

Maybe that explains why Ostende and Alderney wouldn’t let you guys go. No flight plan on the system...yet.

At our place, A/G only, outside CAS, they show as soon as filed and we have no authority to hold aircraft.
Since VFR flight plans (at least AFAIK) are not handled centrally via Brussels, every country has its own system and limitations. My experience with VFR flight plans (Northern Europe/Baltics/Central Europe) ist that you might get away when you are 'a little early' (we talk about 10-15min), but not if you are an hour early. So the right strategy is really to submit a flight plan with the earliest theoretically possible departure time, and then just to shift the departure time (forward only) with delay messages. For a departure clearly earlier than stated on the submitted flight plan, I would call ARO, as suggested by a previous writer (again the national systems restrictions - there are systems where the entire flight plan will have to be re-filled).

Originally Posted by bumfich
Alderney said half an hour was the max they could let me leave early.
I have similar experiences (VFR in Northern Europe/Baltics/Central Europe). Usually you get away when you are early by 10-15min. To avoid running into such a situation, I essentially always file a flight plan with the earliest (even theoretical) departure time, and the just 'shift it forward' with the normal delay message. Also (at least AFAIK) VFR flight plans are not handled centrally, so every country might have its own system (with inherent restrictions). There are systems for which the entire flight plan must be re-generated if the departure time changes...