PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Public sector pensions.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 17:19
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Lordflasheart

Am I getting mine? That's a bit personal - Yes, despite being married to my beautiful wife for 50 years!: Oh! You didn't mean that!

I'm not yet old enough for a free TV Licence and I bet there is no way one can opt to continue paying - if there is I can't be bothered to look! Having persuaded our mothers to renew their passports when in their 80s ( because they both had off-spring overseas ) I assumed, wrongly I guess, that that age was something to do with free passports.

Yes, I have been getting the Winter Fuel Payment since 2006 when I was 60 - looks like I'm not up to date there as well!

I don't buy the government's claim that it would be too expensive to 'means test' the allowance. We have a 'means test' already - its called a tax code. Surely some bright spark could devise a programme that lets DWP, or whatever it's called these days, receive a link from HMRC stating who is no longer entitled.

Many changes that could reduce liabilities are political 'hot potatoes' - why do the residents of England have to pay for prescriptions when a mile from me, in Wales, they are free? Why isn't the charge aligned with state retirement age? Why should the emergency services receive a pension straightaway ( I believe ) after only 25 or 30 years service? Etc, etc.

PS Before someone asks why don't I give my fuel payment back - I do give to quite a few charities and in the last year my daughter has fled a bad relationship in London and is finding it difficult to find work here especially with a very sick daughter - lots of demands on 'Bank of Mum & Dad'.

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 6th Jan 2018 at 17:24. Reason: omit some letters and addition