PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Public sector pensions.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2018, 19:43
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting Al.
TBH, I feel that there is a large dose of scaremongering, based around a few truths. Yes, there might be some further increase in old-age life for lucky(?) few but, I do not think overall life expectancy will increase that much. And here is the rub, it will be longer life in old age, not younger longer! So, working "until 80" will be interesting for the average citizen.
As for the Gov funding pensions from taxation, it is the way they chose to do it. TBH, they like funding it that way so much, that they have avoided saving in a pension pot! Yes, they are going to have to find a lot of money in the future but, it is not going to be as bad as stated, IMO. Furthermore, with the future of social care (again, longer life in old age, not younger-longer) totally up **** creek, I can foresee a situation where pensions are traded for social care. Overall, I do not see that the country will grind to a halt over this, primarily because the pension age will keep slipping back and, I do not think that general life expectancy will increase that much (until the new world order comes in and population is slashed!) OH!

OAP

Last edited by Onceapilot; 5th Jan 2018 at 20:17.