PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maps are obsolete
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2018, 18:10
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOddOne
One defence is that there is a multiplicity of devices either fitted to the aircraft or hand-held, all of which work in slightly different ways. Which one do I pick for my students and how to I then standardize training on that device?
I think it is too easy to get lost in the knob-ology. There are universal concepts that apply to all GPS navigators

A small random sample

- The difference between bearing, track and direct to track

- What is the lowest safe altitude to fly that magenta line

- If you need a sudden diversion, what do information do you want from the GPS

- What factors should you use when deciding what map scale to use

Finally I make a really big deal about developing TLAR (That Looks About Right) skills. A perfect recent example

A low hour PPL friend ask me to ride along with him on an out an back cross country

The direct track out was 323 deg for 121 miles. Setting up for the return leg the GPS said the track back was 178 deg for 78 miles. I asked him if we were ready to go and he said yes so I asked him if the out bound track passed the TLAR test.

After a moment of thinking he clued in that the reciprocal of 323 was not 178 and the distance was wrong. Zooming out the map scale it became obvious that he had entered the wrong airport designator in the flight plan.

That is exactly the kind of skills that should be taught but are not....