PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security Gone Too Far?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 15:17
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

The trouble with all this security, is that they have such set proceedures, that they don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I had a similar experience to DutchRoll a few years ago at JFK. I was going to travel with the Aircraft ex JFK, so went through security with the Crew. I had several tools with me for the trip, and was not allowed through security. So I just went back through the staff access to the Aircraft at the gate, left the tools on board, then went through security again with no trouble, then back to the Aircraft and my tools. Everyone at security was happy, didn't even ask where the tools were.

Some years ago now, used to overnight a lot at CKS Airport in Taipei, they were so efficient with their security, customs and immigration, but so set in their ways. The first time this happened it was accidental, but kept doing it to see how long before they woke up, they never did.

On arrival I would leave the Aircraft with the rest of the Crew and go through customs and immigration, then while they went to the Hotel, I would go back to the Aircraft to supervise China Airlines doing the maintenance on our Aircraft. I left ALL my belongings on the Aircraft until finished, then someone from China Airlines would drive me to their hangar to do the paperwork, then drive me straight to the Hotel.

So my bags never went through customs (NOT that I had anything illegal, but I could have), and none of them ever said anything, even though every time the rest of the Crew would have bags and I had none at all. A few times they were even searching ALL Crew bags on a particular day, still nobody queried why one person had no bags at all.

SADLY, I doubt if these people would be able to stop a determined terrorist.