Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

C&I security FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 8th Jun 2004, 09:30
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&I security FAQ

Folks, I'm going to put together a brief guide to a secure computer to go as a sticky at the top (will bump off Secure XP and Guide to Spyware etc., both of which are linked). First draft below - comments, hardware/software recommendations, additions, links to old but useful threads etc. welcome.

I want to keep it simple enough that a total novice can follow it without problems, so no tweaking services, registry stuff or anything like that.

Update your operating system

Many of the recent outbreaks of viruses, worms and trojans have exploited holes in Windows that are already known and have been fixed by Microsoft. Windows includes a tool, "Windows Update" to download an install these fixes as they become available. Instructions for using it are here.

Instructions for creating a CD to protect a fresh Windows XP installation can be found in the Secure Windows XP Install thread.

Keeping up to date also applies if you are running Linux or Mac OS - both provide similar tools to Windows Update.

Run a firewall

A firewall is a piece of software that monitors all incoming network traffic and allows in only the connections that are known and trusted. All operating systems have security flaws, some known, some yet to be discovered, and firewall software controls access to the network services you need open and closes off those you don't, so even if the operating system is flawed the vulnerabilities cannot be accessed from the Internet. They also makes your computer "invisible" on the Internet; if you can't be found, you can't be attacked.

For professional security, the rule is you never connect a computer directly to an untrusted network, irrespective of the operating system it is running. Dedicated firewall hardware sits between the computer and the internet. For home use a software firewall is adequate. Zone Alarm is simple to use, and is free for personal use.

Software firewalls are not perfect - the W32.Witty.Worm spread via a flaw in the BlackICE software firewall - but are far better than nothing. However, for home broadband connections, you might still consider a hardware firewall.

Spyware

Spyware is sofware that is put in someone's computer to secretly gather information about the user and relay it to advertisers or other interested parties. The information collected varies, and the software may degrade performance of your computer.

See the Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups .

Run anti-virus software

Two golden rules here - run anti-virus software, and keep it up to date. Old software is worse than useless, it makes you think you're protected without offering useful protection.

{recommendations for specific products?}

Trend Micro offer a free online virus scan. McAfee also offer one. These should be your first check if you think you have a virus.
Old 8th Jun 2004, 17:34

Can I suggest two tools at grc.com?

Firstly, the famous Shields Up! to check if your firewall is working

Secondly, some very useful (and free) tools are here. I would suggest
  • Shoot The Messenger
  • UnPlug n' Pray
  • DCOMbobulator

they are all small and quick, and don't disable anything important. Your firewall should guard them all anyway, but better safe.

As for anti-virus, I like PC-cillin Internet Security.

Will
Old 9th Jun 2004, 04:18

Anti-Virus -- Panda Anti-Virus or BitDefender
Panda Titanium is not free, but worth every penny. It includes an awesome firewall and anti-spyware software.

Spyware --
Ad-Aware AND ALSO USE
Spy Bot 'Search & Destroy'
Using this combination guarantees you excellent spyware malware protection.

P2P Protection --
If you use Peer-to-Peer programs, you MUST protect yourself from the nosy folks at the RIAA, MPAA, and their subcontractors.

Peer Guardian - Simple Use Program
ProtoWall Advanced Program, with greater protection.

Thats what I have to offer

-Chris

http://www.jetthrust.com
- The Aviation Network
Old 6th Jan 2005, 21:43

Another free good anti virus package is AVG Free Edition from Grisoft.

RC
Old 7th Jan 2005, 06:09
Tuba Mirum

Hardware and software firewalls aim to stop malicious software (and other attacks) coming in; AV software aims to prevent it, as far as possible, from taking up residence; there are various products, too well-known here for me to mention, which can be used to detect spyware/adware; software firewalls also aim to detect malicious software by detecting any network activity (e.g. unexpected outgoing traffic) it may perform. The only thing (only thing? ) missing from the puzzle is host-based intrusion detection, which aims to prevent and detect any activity by malicious software on the host, viz. inappropriate file and registry activity.
It may be worth taking a look at Prevx , which is free for private use and quite effective - the only problem area for my money being the false positives if you leave it running while installing software.

Old 7th Jan 2005, 07:41

NAT

Now that a lot of the routers/modems for use in the UK contain NAT, maybe it would be a good idea to mention this in the context of hardware firewalls
Old 6th May 2005, 08:08

Kaffir Lime Leaf Junkie

Tuba Mirum ,
Re Prevex, I installed it and my PC speed reduced drastically. Maybe due to Prevex or maybe an overload of defence softwares.
With Windows XP fam. I have a router (with firewall) run AdAware, SyyBot, AVG Antivirus, Norton AntiVirus and a ZoneLabs firewall. I guess that all added together makes the PC work a bit too hard.
Disabeled Prevex and I'm (nearly) back to normal.
Old 6th May 2005, 11:00
Evo

Thanks, folks. This is a bit out of date now, I always wish I had the time to do it properly, but...
Old 6th May 2005, 12:05
Tuba Mirum

IFTB, there's bound to be an overhead with any software that monitors activity in real time, but I must say I haven't had the sort of problems that you've experienced. I'll have a look at my setup at home and see whether I can make it cause that kind of slowdown for me.

Couldn't just be a memory problem, could it? How much memory do you have on your XP system? (I have 256MB.)

Cheers

Old 6th May 2005, 17:43

There is another important thing you can do to help secure any Windows 2K and above system and that is to run as a least privilaged user for as much as possible. This means that if anything nasty can get through the damage it can do is limited.
Software is getting better and it is becomming increasingly possible to run alot of software using an account with reduced privilages. I believe the new Microsoft OS due out early next year will encourage running with least privilage, I know the linux community recommends that you dont log on to the root account unless you are needing to do administrative tasks.

If there are any software developers reading this make sure that your software can run under accounts with restricted privilages.