PDA

View Full Version : The use of aluminium in aircraft wings...

FL390
15th Sep 2001, 12:37
I'm supposed to be doing a presentation on the use of aluminium in aircarft wings as part of my Physics A-level course.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some pointers or perhaps some links to where I would find some other info...

Cheers

Deaf
15th Sep 2001, 17:07
Because it's cheaper

Get a book on aircraft structures failing that a general structures book.

Areas to explore:

Mechanical properties

Aluminium is ~1/3 the density, strength and stiffness of steel, in most aircraft structures the forces are basically bending forces with the failure mode being buckling hence the thickness is important with 3rd and 4th powers of the thickness appearing in the calculation of the moment of inertia so for the same weight 1/3 the density gives x3 thickness so 1/3 (stiffness
or youngs modulus) x (3 cubed)= 9 times stronger.

Note that alloying or heat treatment of aluminium (or any metal) does't increase the stiffness only the tensile strength.

Structural design is often about using am ore complex shape to increase the moment of inertia at the expense of higher production in a simple case stringers or a more complex case honeycomb.

Manufacture

Aluminium is a readily available, cheap material which can be easily machined, shaped and joined by riveting by relatively unskilled labour.

Quality control and inspection

Quality control both of the raw material and finished product is relatively simple, likewise insppection in service.

Design

Aluminium is an isotropic material which means the properties are the same in all directions, this simplifies design especially in pre computer days.

Corrosion and rot resistance

Compare other materials eg steel, wood, composites to aluminium using these criteria

This is a gross oversimplification of a very complex topic but hopefully will point you in the right direction.

Remember there is no such thing as an aircraft only a lot of compromises in close formation.

FL390
15th Sep 2001, 18:39
Well, thank you very much deaf.....the information there is very useful, although I don't quite understand all of it (yet! :D)! I think I can get my head round the claculation bit of your post! :)

Cheers

Any more takers?

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2001, 19:38
Get hold of the catalogue for a company called "Aircraft spruce and specialty co." it is full of details about the various aluminium alloys and what they're used for. They advertise in the main flying magazines.

Also take a look at http://www.raes.org.uk/light-av/2000_brooks.htm

G

411A
15th Sep 2001, 23:55
Try http://www.aircraft-spruce.com
These folks are VERY informative and when you fly into Corona California they pick you up at the airport via mini-van to their location, even bought me lunch as I had a BIG order. Great crew, first class operation.

Nb. Crashy edited the post to correct a small typo in the hyperlink above.

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: CrashDive ]