PDA

View Full Version : Taf / Metar / Etc

Julian
1st Jul 2003, 20:31
Anyone know of a web based TAF / METAR Decoder that I can cut-n-paste the raw report into and get a quick answer?

capt_sparky
1st Jul 2003, 21:36
Avbrief (http://www.avbrief.co.uk) will decode TAFs and METARs for you - just tick the decode box. No cut & paste required :)

Julian
1st Jul 2003, 22:24
Thanks, appears you have to register and pay for the decode service on AvBrief.

Anyone know any free ones?

Crossedcontrols
1st Jul 2003, 23:47
Here's a fee one from The Hangar (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/metars/index.php)

CC

RodgerF
2nd Jul 2003, 17:01
Saw this code group in the Luxembourg actual about 3 weeks ago

-TSRA

Presumably they were low voltage strikes

FlyingForFun
2nd Jul 2003, 18:51
Julian, hope you don't mind me asking... but why? TAFs and METARs aren't the hardest things in the world to understand. What few codes there are generally come up frequently enough that you get to learn them pretty quickly.

I have to admit I don't know the code for Dust Devils, but it can be easilly looked up if you need it. (I'ts PO, by the way, to save you looking it up yourself!)

FFF
-----------

Evo
2nd Jul 2003, 20:23
I'ts PO, by the way, to save you looking it up yourself!

now i'll have to go and look up why...! :)

RodgerF
2nd Jul 2003, 21:02
It stands for 'poussiere' (French for Dust).
Same reason as mist is BR 'brume'

englishal
2nd Jul 2003, 21:39
Julian, try

http://www.tmdg.co.uk/weather/

Make sure you click [or shift click if selecting more options] the Decode TAFs and METARs..

C yer
EA:D

FWA NATCA
3rd Jul 2003, 01:05
Roger,

"-TSRA" This is Thunderstorms and light rain showers.

Mike

RodgerF
3rd Jul 2003, 03:35
Mike,

I was thinking that thunderstorms and light rain was a contradiction in terms.

RF

Miserlou
3rd Jul 2003, 04:22
Julian,
It's easier and quicker just to learn the code. That which is not bleedin' obvious is easily remembered or irrelevant to you.
And think how smart people will think you are when you can just reel off plain language from it.

FWA NATCA,
-TSRA is light thunderstorms and rain.
Thunderstorms and light rain showers would be -TSRASH.

To build up the big picture you'd figure that out from the cloud groups, in this case probably something in the order of SCTcb015 BKNcb020.

Typical summer late afternoon, really.

Flying Boat
3rd Jul 2003, 06:58
Miserlou, Spot on.

But I thought -TSRASH was a mild skin disorder you could get after a bit of wierd fun with a petite ladyboy in either Bankok or 1 of the 'back'streets in AMS.

I thought that learning TAF & METAR codes were part of the met section of the PPL, they were when I did the CAA PPL, I didn't do the JAR PPL. Perhaps it's not part of the sillybus.

I'm learning everytime I go to the airport!

FB
:8

englishal
3rd Jul 2003, 16:36
I guess its easier to cut and past them into a "translator" judging by the amount of confusion -TSRA has caused :D

drauk
3rd Jul 2003, 16:36
Miserlou, Julian is an instrument rated pilot: I am pretty certain he already knows how to decode a TAF! I'm sure he has some other reason for asking this question.

Miserlou
3rd Jul 2003, 17:04
Drauk,
What does it say about him then, that he needs a decoder for a TAF or METAR?

I just can't see anything easier than being able to read them as plain language.

Julian,
Don't take that reply as an attack..........unless you want to discuss further.

Julian
3rd Jul 2003, 18:03
FCUK ME!
How to start a war with a simple question!!!!

Have given a mate my old TT books who has an interest and is currently considering a trial lesson. We were discussing weather with him at the weekend. Form 214/215, etc.... Question came up did a web based service exist to decode?

Thankyou to those who came up with the goods.
And to the conspriacy theorists....
:mad:

FlyingForFun
3rd Jul 2003, 18:07
Calm down, Julian. There's no conspiracy - just a genuine query about why you wanted it!

Seems like a perfectly valid reason to me, especially if it's going to mean another future pilot :) And, what's more, you can now knowledgably tell him where the code for Dust Devils is derived from :D

FFF
---------------

Circuit Basher
3rd Jul 2003, 19:05
Not trying to start a flame war, but on the basis that you / your friend will have to get used to landing at strange fields where the TAF / METAR may just be pinned to a notice board, it's worth getting the majority of the common codes committed to memory. It's not that complex, actually and attached are some links that may help:

CAA METAR Document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/dap_met_aerometobs.pdf)

This is a fairly simple site that may help a bit towards understanding METARs.
METAR Decode Summary Info (http://www.corsock.com/metardec.htm)

Julian
3rd Jul 2003, 20:16
Thanks but already been through all that with him. I have had the printed card myself since I did my PPL, I do not need any more links to more of those but thanks for the offers!

Original question was "Does a decoder exist on the web?"
Now I have an answer thanks to those who read it and answered.

RodgerF
4th Jul 2003, 17:35
Someone once came up with standard TAF decode rules. You just look at the number of lines in the TAF

One line: Go
Two lines: Think about going
Three lines: No chance :D

On a more serious note, I think that getting good at reading TAFs is a matter of practice. The 18-hour TAFS provide good exercise every day.

Miserlou
4th Jul 2003, 19:53
Calm down. I said it wasn't meant as an attack.

Personally, I don't think just decoding a TAF or METAR takes much of the mystery out of it.
I'd suggest that having a METAR in your hand and sitting on the grass looking at what it means in the sky would be a better exercise.

Just an idea.

Julian
4th Jul 2003, 19:56
Miserlou - I should be careful about posting comments such as "What does it say about him then, that he needs a decoder for a TAF or METAR?" without knowing the underlying reason for the query.

As you say.....Just an idea.

Miserlou
5th Jul 2003, 06:02
You might have saved yourself getting wound up if you'd stated your reasons at the start.