PDA

View Full Version : Question about Homebuilds and CofAs

WelshFlyer
15th May 2003, 19:56
Just a quick question, would it be possible to build an aircraft, and on completion of building activity get a CofA instead of inspectors continually checking on the build standard?

When forign aircraft are inported for example, and put on the Golf register, surely the same standard of inspection dosn't apply in these circumstances?

WelshFlyer

stiknruda
15th May 2003, 20:02
WF

I am quite sure that when CAA aircraft are built they also go through stage inspections!

Imported aircraft (CAA) were subject to the stage inspection during construction.

I am currently involved in importing an experimental (PFA) and have agreed an inspection schedule with the PFA.

Some UK homebuilts (my neighbour's P51D springs to mind) are CAA administered builds.

Stik

Mike Cross
15th May 2003, 20:16
WF

Look here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/airworthiness/certification/default.asp)

Mike

Mark 1
15th May 2003, 20:25
To get a CofA your aircraft must conform to the "Type Certificate Data Sheet" of a certificated design.

As one of these is unlikely to exist for a homebuilt design (a few exceptions - Pitts, Jodels etc), you cannot get a CofA unless you submit it for certification yourself - got about a £1m to spare?

Even for homebuilts of certificated designs this rarely happens, as it involves the TC holder to confirm that it has been built in accordance with a TCDS.

Most people would rather have the cost savings and simplicity of a PFA/CAA permit than the few advantages of a CofA.

Genghis the Engineer
15th May 2003, 20:27
If I may interpret Welshflyer's question slightly differently. No, you can't get a CofA on a homebuilt, only a CAA/JAA/FAA/NAA (National Airworthiness Authority) approved manufacturer can do that, following procedures agreed with their local authority.

By and large, those procedures will make half a dozen stage inspections by a PFA/BMAA/CAA inspector seem gentle by comparison. That's why a homebuilt is only eligible for a permit to fly (or equivalent in other countries, such as the US Experimental ticket).

G

WelshFlyer
15th May 2003, 20:31
Thanks,
Youre replys have all been a great help. So if I build an aircraft in the next few years, i'd get a PFA permit to fly.

Tanks,

WelshFlyer

IO540-C4D5D
16th May 2003, 18:15
There are some amazing "experimental" planes available in the USA. But am I right in saying that ALL of them (and we are looking, presumably, at N-reg operation with FAA licenses) are limited to daylight VFR in the UK?

Mike Cross
16th May 2003, 19:22
There being of course no such thing as Night time VFR in the UK!:O

Mike

Genghis the Engineer
16th May 2003, 21:00
Nope, they are limited to day VMC. You can fly IFR all you like so long as you stay VMC.

G

tacpot
16th May 2003, 23:36
I don't think that as a non-American you can operate an Experimental Category aircraft in the UK.

I can't remember where I saw this, but I am researching the point. I think an Experimental Category aircraft cannot be registered to a corporation, only to an individual. So the mechanism whereby other N-Registered aircraft are owned by UK nationals (a blind trust) cannot be used to for experimental aircraft. When I find a definitive reference document that either supports or denies this position, I'll post a further reply.

tacpot
17th May 2003, 07:10
The FAA Advisory Circular on the Cirtification and Operation of Amateur Built Aircraft (available at http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/amateur/ac20-27e.pdf

contains the following definitions
Amateur-Built Aircraft. An aircraft in which the major portion has been fabricated and assembled by a person(s) who undertook the construction process solely for their own education or
recreation.
Person An individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint-stock association, or governmental entity. It includes a trustee, receiver, assignee, or similar representative of
any of them.

The fact that a person can also be a corporation would appear to means that an Amatuer Built aircraft can be registed by a trust.

The Advisory Circular also describes situations where the owner is not necessarily the builder, although this is really aimed at the situation when ownership of the aircraft is transfered after the aircraft is built.

So it is more hopeful that an N-Registered Experimental Aircraft could be built and flown in the UK, if owned via a Trust.

I'll keep looking for definitive information, as the subject is of great interest to myself as it potentialy offers a route around some of the restrictions on PFA Permit Aircraft.

Pilotage
17th May 2003, 07:28
Tacpot, put politely you are barking up the wrong tree.

In the UK your choices are...

- PFA permit system
- BMAA permit system
- Permit application direct to the CAA
- Build a glider.
- Obtain a CAA company approval to allow you to work under your own supervision. For this you need certain key professional staff, premises, procedures, several tens of thousands of pounds in fees, etc. etc.

The first two are your only realistic options for a relatively simple aircraft, the 3rd for a very complex one and you'll need some serious engineering talent onside to help you, the last only makes any sense if you are trying to go into the aircraft manufacturing business.

Put bluntly, for most powered projects if you think Francis Donaldson at the PFA will make your life too difficult your only viable option is to go and be nice to Guy Gratton at the BMAA (or vice versa). Nobody is going to allow you to use the FAA experimental system, which UK CAA distrusts hugely, to bypass the UK airworthiness system.

Save yourself a lot of grief and either fit in with the UK system, emigrate, or give-up. Those are your only three viable options. The corporation .v. individual thing is a red herring, the airworthiness regulations will stop you before anything to do with citizenship or ownership becomes an issue at-all.

Sorry to sound negative, but this is realism.

P

flyingfemme
18th May 2003, 01:16
It's not an ownership issue; it's an airworthiness issue. Permit to Fly aircraft do not have a CofA issued by an ICAO country - they have no CofA at all. Therefore they cannot be flown outside of the USA unless you have the express permission of the ruling aviation authority. The CAA will issue short-term permission if you have a good reason, but you cannot keep one here.
The same applies to PFA aircraft and the UK - to take them foreign requires permssion from the country you are going to - although sometimes a blanket permission is available.

IO540-C4D5D
18th May 2003, 01:34
tacpot

I have personally seen an N-reg Lancair flying here (UK) - this is not a FAA certified plane; it's stall speed was well above the 59kias FAA requirement for example.

flyingfemme
18th May 2003, 21:34
Lancairs do get ferried! Quite OK with the overflight permission of the CAA.

Genghis the Engineer
18th May 2003, 22:42
All requirements for stall speed are based on CAS or EAS, not IAS.

And how on each could you tell what a passing aeroplane's stall speed was, especially in CAS since most homebuilders don't determine PEC anyway?

Airworthiness Notice 52 incidentally (in CAP 455) contains the CAA guidance on bringing a foreign homebuilt in. Basically it says up to a month without permission, 3 months with permission, then take it home.

G