PDA

View Full Version : How many PANs make an Urgency?

GoneWest
3rd Nov 2002, 17:05
Cough, splutter...rough running engine (for example)...is it

PAN PAN PAN or

PAN PAN, PAN PAN, PAN PAN or

PAN PAN PAN, PAN PAN PAN, PAN PAN PAN.

Question two is "are there any non UK controllers that know what the h*ll we are talking about"?

cwatters
3rd Nov 2002, 19:12
Try...

http://www.pan.isgreat.net/

...or perhaps not

3rd Nov 2002, 19:37
I think for me it would be "cough, splutter, rough running engine":

MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.

However, for urgency messages both the UK AIP and CAP 413 say PAN PAN, PAN PAN, PAN PAN.

If I remember correctly from my seafaring days the GMDSS/ITU documents say the same - so I assume that must be a worldwide standard.

Spitoon
4th Nov 2002, 08:03
I'm with 1261 on this. I'm less bothered by what the books say and more interested in helping to sort out any problems. Never mind rough running engines - just the tone of voice can do it for me.

GoneWest
4th Nov 2002, 08:14
I was thinking more in line with the ATPL "Communications" written examinations, and was hoping for an ICAO (not National) definition rather than a personal view.

Spitoon
4th Nov 2002, 17:01
Sorry GoneWest, I didn't realise it was a serious answers wanted!

The UK R/T book (CAP 413) says5.1 The emergency message shall contain the following information (time and circumstance permitting) and, whenever possible, should be passed in the order given:
a) ‘MAYDAY/MAYDAY/MAYDAY' (or ‘PAN PAN/PAN PAN/PAN PAN');
b) Name of the station addressed (when appropriate and time and circumstances permitting);
c) Callsign;
d) Type of aircraft;
e) Nature of the emergency;
f) Intention of the person-in-command;
g) Present or last known position, flight level/altitude and heading;
h) Pilot qualifications (See Note 1), viz:
i) Student pilots;
ii) No Instrument Qualification;
iii) IMC Rating;
iv) Full Instrument Rating.
i) Any other useful information e.g. endurance remaining, number of people on board (POB) etc.
NOTES:
1 There is no ICAO requirement to include pilot qualifications in a distress message. However, this information should be included whenever possible in UK emergency messages as it may help the controller to plan a course of action best suited to the pilot's ability.
As far as I know the only difference from ICAO is that described in the Note. If your question is in preparation for the ATPL exams I believe that these are set against ICAO Standards. I think it's Annex 10 you need for the definitive answer.

GR7
5th Nov 2002, 10:28
Miltary aviators in the UK use PAN, PAN, PAN.

GoneWest
6th Nov 2002, 19:17
Thanks guys - managed to finally get Annex 10.

Official answer... "Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Pan Pan"