PDA

View Full Version : Failed me Air Law!!

Holloway
5th Oct 2002, 15:25
Really strange really, I did loads of reading and I did three practice papers and passed them all buy at least 5 points. But the CAA test was a bit different and trick questions and I failed by 4 points. Im back to the book this weekend and im going to try agian next week :(

BRL
5th Oct 2002, 15:29
Aww Sh**e. Keep at it, at least you now know what to expect next time around. Chin up and all that :)

PPPPP
5th Oct 2002, 16:38
I can't recommend highly enough the PPL Confuser.
This did me proud for the Air Law and Met exams, if you work your way through all the questions in it you have a very good chance indeed of passing.
( No connection with the author etc.... worse luck!)

TheKentishFledgling
5th Oct 2002, 18:03
Bad luck :(

Let us know how you get on next time....

tKF

Pilot16
6th Oct 2002, 10:09
Just keep at it and you'll be there.

I too recommend PPL confuser. Keep on having goes at it untill you get only couple or no mistake.

sunnysideup
6th Oct 2002, 12:38
A third vote for the PPL Confuser from me. There is no other way!

Don't panic yet. Air Law is the one that most people flunk first time around.

Good Luck with the rest of 'em

BASmith
6th Oct 2002, 19:36
I also failed my Air Law exam, managed to achieve an outstanding 74% .............. still cost me £30 to fail the damn thing, I can still remember the CFI`s comment - the price of failure is the same as the price of success - well thanks a bunch !

On the second attempt my result was 87 %, but only because I spent the following week with my head in the PPL Confuser.

I agree with previous comments on this topic - the CAA exam questions are not "worded" particularly well !

Holloway
6th Oct 2002, 19:57
Ive got a PPL Confuser type book. Its the one by the same people as the Jeremy Pratt books. Its got all the practice papers etc which I passed :) Never mind ive been on the book all weekend and studied some weak areas and im gunna do a couple of nights this week and take the test again this week.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LowNSlow
6th Oct 2002, 20:38
It was the only exam I failed. Not hard to fail such a boring and turgid subject. Used to send me to sleep reading Trevor Thom Air Law on the Tube! Amazingly I can still remember the important bits........

Good luck with the next go.

Fujiflyer
7th Oct 2002, 14:47
Agree with the advice on the PPL confuser. I must admit, myself I didn't find Airlaw too bad but then I spent plenty of time browsing the book (Book 2, Jeremy Pratt) before taking the exam. It was my first topic I covered so I made sure I knew it thoroughly as I didn't want to chance failure on my first PPL related test.

Holloway, in what area (if any particular area) did you fall down? I found the worst bits were those which required you to remember numerical data as you cannot easily solve them with common sense if you don't know the answer from memory. The bits on VMC criteria versus VFR spring to mind :( :eek:

Good luck mate,

Fujiflyer :) :)

wookiepilot
7th Oct 2002, 18:45
Tough break!!!!!:confused:

get the PPL confuser by NEUNG SORNYING and have a look at the Trevor Thom air law book( and perhaps the rest of his series) as they are the bibles(personal opinion of course) but with and average of 90%+ on all exams I would strongly recommend this series.:D

Best of luck with the rest.

Holloway
7th Oct 2002, 19:49
being honest I fail on questions I didnt understand and trick questions. I think I looked at them too hard if that makes sense? Also I got a couple of questions about abreviations and I didnt know what they were. After looking at the book ALL weekend and this week I now know what I should of known but it will be a different test paper :) Ive gone through all the revision qusetions and I got about 90% of them right. Im going to do my test at the weekend I think

Andrew :)

Pilot16
7th Oct 2002, 22:48
Best of Luck!!

alphaalpha
8th Oct 2002, 08:09
The problem with the air law exam is that we all take it very early on in our flying training. We have not yet got to grips with the abbreviations and acronyms of the flying world and the whole thing is still like a foreign language. Much of what we are studying is well beyond our actual flying experience and is therefore 'theoretical.'

How on earth, for example, can you expect a brand new student to understand the difference between VMC minima and licence minima, when all he has done is fly a few hours in very benign weather conditions.

Holloway:

Don't worry about it being difficult. Don't worry about not understanding much of what you study. Use the confuser and talk to your instructor to pass the exam. But afterwards, during the rest of your PPL training and over the following couple of years, keep coming back to air law points. Look them up again. You'll find they all start to make sense (well, most of the, at least). Following air law will keep you not only legal, but also safe!

However, I would not reccomend trying to read the ANO. There are several books which make a much better job of explaining law than the ANO itself.

knobbygb
8th Oct 2002, 08:52
Agree with all alphaalpha says. I'm in the unenviable position of having to re-sit the airlaw exam soon as I originally took it 15 months ago (got only 80%) :(

I was dreading this until I did the test questions in the confuser for the first time recently (I didn't have it last year) and realised that most of the stuff I didn't understand first time around, and just 'memorised', now seems to make a lot more sense. :)

Still don't give a damn what year the Chicago Convention was signed in though! :D

aidanruff
8th Oct 2002, 20:31
Jeremy Pratt/AFE released a new air law keyfacts book early on this year - can't remember what it's called, but it's got all of the essentials in a "read on the loo" format - excellent!

rustle
8th Oct 2002, 21:11
Hollyoaks,

Air Law, in common with HP&L, is about learning dates, facts and figures.

Most of it will help you fly safely, so it's worth learning.

I don't think there are any trick questions - a bit like that ITV programme - easy if you know the answer... :p

Better luck next time -- at least with ground exams you get a second chance :)

28thJuly2001
14th Oct 2002, 19:38
Well, did you pass??

Walt,,

Flash0710
15th Oct 2002, 08:32
It's all a load of rubbish anyway............

You will forget it all when you pass it thats what they want..........!

CPilotUK
15th Oct 2002, 16:51
Hi Holloway,

I had got to 14 hours when I was ready for my first solo and could not do it because I did not do my Medical or my Air Law exam. In my excitement, I found it difficult to focus because all I was thinking about was soloing although in the end, I passed first time with 85%.

I would also recommend the books: PPL Confuser; Air Law - Jeremy Pratt that previous posters have recommended.

Try not to rush through the topics by studying them parrott fashion; take your time and read and understand them before moving on.

Set yourself a realistic target and divide the number of topics over that period of time - you will find it much easier to manage.

All the best in your next try.

Flash0710 Said: It's all a load of rubbish anyway............

You will forget it all when you pass it thats what they want..........!

Flash0710,

How can you tell a PPL student that Air Law is a load of rubbish
when a huge percentage of fatal air accidents are down to pilots sometimes blatantly ignoring the rules of the air which you read about in Air Law?

Please don't post rubbish if you have not anything constructive to say.

Holloway
15th Oct 2002, 22:18
I PASSED!!!! Quite relifed!!!! And to my supprise on friday on a bad vis day my instructor got out the plane and left me to go SOLO!!!

WOW!!!!

Amazin feeling and when lookin to my right seeing I was alone was kinda wierd. Im in our New York office at the mo, so I wont be flying till next week now.

Andrew :)

CPilotUK
15th Oct 2002, 23:52
Congrats Holloway!

Well done. :)

andrewc
16th Oct 2002, 00:27
CPilotUK,

It might be fairer to say that the Air Law syllabus is packed
with information of variable utility to the average pilot.

Some parts are useful and will become second nature,
others like the workings of the Montreal treaty and the
founding date of ICAO will be flushed away once the
exam has been passed.

Flash0710 is perhaps overstating his case but there
is a lot of dead-wood in the syllabus,

-- Andrew

knobbygb
16th Oct 2002, 09:14
Well done Holloway:cool: You'll soon get used to seeing the empty seat beside you, so just enjoy it.

Flash0710
16th Oct 2002, 09:37
Congratulations on Passing!

There is as you say a lot of dead wood ( Good term )

Just about to start ATp's

What junk will i need to learn and forget why do they not just stick to the nessescary....?

LowNSlow
16th Oct 2002, 16:58
Holloway congrats on the pass and the solo :D

TheKentishFledgling
16th Oct 2002, 18:31
Nice one Holloway! :D

I'm dead jealous - I've not flown any lessons for ages, due to other commitments, then last weekend the weather stopped me. Now I think I'm going to be grounded for a week or so due to a rugby injury :( :(

tKF

Pilot16
17th Oct 2002, 18:09
Congratulations Holloway!!
both on your exam and first solo!!

Dop
28th Oct 2002, 16:24
My instructor sprang the Air Law on me one weekend when I wasn't really expecting it. I'd been sending myself to sleep on the train with the book, bought the PPL Confuser but never done anything with it, and as it was a surprise I'd not really revised.

But I managed to scrape through with 78%. Yay me!

Week after that I soloed.

Best of look with the resit!

Holloway
27th Feb 2003, 11:00
Havent been on here for ages!!!! Passed 4 exams now and done 22 hours!! Still feel i got miles to go :(

FlyingForFun
27th Feb 2003, 11:04
Holloway,

Hope you don't mind if I re-write your last post:Havent been on here for ages!!!! Passed 4 exams now and done 22 hours!! I've got miles to go - I know the learning process will carry on for the rest of my life - but I'm enjoying the journey :)Congratulations on your progress so far!!!

FFF
---------------

Aussie Andy
27th Feb 2003, 11:15
Take your time mate and enjoy the leaning! Even when you get your PPL(A) you'll still have miles to go.. there's building up your hours, night/IMC etc. and other ratings, complex types, tail-draggers, aeros, going foreign, etc. etc. etc. The beauty of this hobby / vocation (which ever!) is that there's always MORE to be done - aint it wonderful! :cool:

Holloway
27th Feb 2003, 11:19
HE HE, I agree :) Im just looking forward to not having to turn up and do circuits or somthing. I know ill be learning for ever, thats what I love about it but I cant wait to split the cost and show others how amazing it is up there and also take a trip to france in 30 mins for the day :)

Aussie Andy
27th Feb 2003, 11:25
Absolutely - yes I understand that impatience! I flew to Le Touquet last weekend - not my first time in France, but first time at LFAT... its a really nice little town, and will impress your friends!

rupetime
27th May 2003, 18:18
HELP !

I have my Air Law exam planned for this coming weekend......ive sat the confuser exam three times - 73%, 78% and 84% - the questions I get wrong arnt blocks in the same subject they seem to be varying around the whole 156 questions - also looking back there are at least three or four questions that afterwards I knew the answer to but obviously didnt read it correctly.

I plan to sit it hopefuly 2 more times before the real thing.....can anyone guess my chances based on this???

rt

Holloway
27th May 2003, 18:24
I just practiced the test exams loads of times. Im so glad im all finished now. But thats the challenge and if it was easy everyone would do it :)

Best of luck, youll be fine :)

Mariner9
27th May 2003, 18:27
Congratulations Holloway. I agree with earlier comments that some of the syllabus (Eg Chicago convention) is dull & boring, but I actually find most of it interesting - still read the Jeremy Pratt Air Law book in the loo.

I wonder how much harder the ATPL Air Law exam can be. Any professional flyers out there care to comment?

ratsarrse
28th May 2003, 02:42
I'm actually getting worse at this. I started off by getting 90%, then 80% and the last mock paper I did resulted in a poxy 62%. Some intense revision is called for I think!

The type of questions that typically catch me out are along the lines of 'a balloon flying at night shall carry a red light that shows in all directions suspended 5m/5ft/10m below the basket.' To which my answer is 'who cares how far below the basket it's suspended - just don't fly into it!'

There is so much that is irrelevant to the kind of operations you expect to be doing in a light aircraft - if you can't see the point of knowing something, you tend to not retain it. Oh well, just have to suck on it if I want to fly without a guardian angel I suppose.

FlyingForFun
28th May 2003, 03:47
Rupetime, good luck. Keep studying, and you should be fine.

Ratsarrse, I hate those questions! If it's something you know and you see regularly, it might be possible to make an educated guess... but a light suspended from a baloon? Who cares? I find it sometimes helps to draw pictures, and anotate them with the correct distances, etc... but maybe that's just me.

Mariner9, don't ask. It's much worse. Imagine learning all of the Annexes to the Chicago Convetion. "Dangerous Goods is covered by which Annex: random number A, random number B, random number C or random number D?" There's definitely a market for 4-sided dice for some of these questions! Or imagine learning a whole load of ICAO regulations, and proudly answering a question correctly in a practice paper. In the next practice paper you see the same question, put the same answer, and get it wrong... then discover that this question is asking about JAR, which is different to ICAO. :rolleyes: Without a doubt, the worst part of any flying training you can or will ever do is ATPL Air Law!

FFF
------------

Keef
28th May 2003, 03:49
If you need a guardian angel, I may be able to help there...

Meanwhile: may I recommend the "pickle" approach to examinations that are based on your regurgitating ability?

1. Learn the relevant stuff that you will really need to know when you get to be a PPL. You don't want to sell yourself short on the important small percentage!

2. For all the rest - the stuff you will look up in the unlikely event you ever need it again (like height below balloon for the red light; number of cabin crew for various numbers of pax; how to calculate W&B for a 747)...

A. Take the book on holiday to somewhere sunny (Mallorca, Crete, Tenerife etc) for two weeks. Book the written for the day after you get back.

B. Sit on the beach with a large jug of Sangria (or similar), under a large sunshade, or smothered in sun factor 20, as you prefer.

C. Read the book and try to memorise it till your brain hurts.

D. Have a glass out of the jug and go for half an hour's swim (or whatever is your sunny beach thing).

REPEAT B C and D until the two weeks are up.

E. Go home and do the written.

I got 92% in my air law that way. And the best tan I ever had, and the most peaceful fortnight I can remember.

Coke611
28th May 2003, 18:39
good luck with the rest of the course Holloway!

I wont be taking air law for a while yet, but as soon as my GCSE's are finished, i'm going flying!

Best of luck, safe flying

Coke611

ratsarrse
28th May 2003, 19:18
I like your style Keef! Sadly, I think I'm going to have to make do with cramming at work this week. I'm working late shifts, so nice and quiet with the only distraction being the odd bit of work stuff.

The next time I start thinking that the ATPL is a good thing to get, I'll try to remember the Air Law factor - combined with the price tag, it should keep things in perspective.

RichyRich
28th May 2003, 19:25
FFF: gotta ask (I know it's off topic, but your post is nearby):

If your name is FFF, why on earth did you write ATPL exams?

Just curious...

FlyingForFun
28th May 2003, 19:31
:D Hi Rich!

Well, I created the name before I had any intention of doing the exams. Then a couple of things happened which enabled me to seriously consider doing the ATPLs - and I decided to go for it.

I thought about changing my name, but decided not to. After all, I do still fly for fun. Once I start getting paid to fly, I don't intend to stop flying when I'm "off duty". Plus, flying as a career has to be a whole load more fun than my current job! I'm not doing it for the money, that's for sure. So I thought the name was still applicable, and I kept it.

FFF
---------------

Evo
28th May 2003, 19:35
FlyingForFood...? ;)

RichyRich
28th May 2003, 19:43
FFF: I know what you mean about 'normal' work being a bore! If there were thousands of 'planes and hundreds of pilots, I'd also change, but with it being the other way round, I think my age is against me, so I'll stick to hobby flying (if I ever get there: still learning).

Evo: had to pick myself off the floor. Excellent. I've noticed you fly from Goodwood. I happened to be trawling past a few weeks ago (at 2500 :D ) and overheard that someone was in a Stearman (and the poor controller was trying to get him off the runway so another could land) - is the Stearman a regular there?

Now I'm really really way off topic. Oh well... I'll drag myself to the wall at dawn.

Evo
28th May 2003, 19:52
There was a Stearman there on monday (looked fantastic :ok: ) but i've not seen one around regularly. I'll ask next time i'm in.

Pianorak
28th May 2003, 22:19
FFF quote: << I find it sometimes helps to draw pictures, and anotate them with the correct distances, etc... but maybe that's just me.>>

Drawing pictures is a very effective means of teaching/learning. I used “flash cards” in a classroom setting – badly drawn which caused general amusement but kept the class awake and generally managed to get a point across.

rupetime
2nd Jun 2003, 16:28
Update

I passed Air Law - 85% - Solo looming !!!

IO540-C4D5D
2nd Jun 2003, 16:57
CpilotUK

Do you have supporting evidence for

"a huge percentage of fatal air accidents are down to pilots sometimes blatantly ignoring the rules of the air " ?

Most deaths are caused by flying the plane into the ground. En-route collisions are almost unheard of. Is not hitting the ground classed as a "rule of the air"? Most VMC CFITs are a combination of poor navigation in poor visibility (PPL-level navigation is often barely usable in the UK climate) and ignoring the MSA when trying to keep under a lowering cloudbase. Then you get a lot of airfield-proximity accidents, again not related to air law.

I would say 50% of PPL air law material is total c**p.

For example, how many airfields still operate the signals square? And of those that do, in how many cases a) they don't have a radio AND b) you don't have a radio? If you fly WW1 biplanes and don't carry a handheld with your headset plugged into it, then by all means you can learn this WW1 stuff. But you will be just slightly limited as to where you can fly!

Perhaps the most controversial errors are airspace busts. These are obviously a combination of poor navigation (see my note above re how inadequately nav is taught in the PPL) and not reading the chart properly. But that's another subject - the flight training business will never accept any syllabus change which will make a PPL look more expensive on their price list, or force them to fit and teach GPS.

By far the best investment for anyone doing a PPL is the PPL Confuser.

Pink_aviator
3rd Jun 2003, 04:57
Hi
Sorry to push in on your conversation, but as i soloed last week and posted my solo on MAD JOCKS thread PINK HEADSET. Me being the pink- aviator head set queen .I was interested in reading all about your triumphs and failures in the air law exam.

I hope to take mine this week. I have the Trevor thom book ,the pratt book and the ppl confuser ,also the tape which i listen to most days on my 160 mile round trip to the flying school. ,so i am trying, but am not 100% confident that i'll pass yet.

I've taken 3 days off ,out of the air , to really get my head around,air spaces ,and quadrantle rules .I'm trying as some one suggested,to really understand it,and drawing pictures of vmc,etc.
My flying seems to be cracking on but I have only one exam ,human performance,under my belt and to be honest I just want to move on to another subject now.Navigation next.

I am also taking an RT course at the club which is proving far more enjoyable than studying alone,we made paper planes last week and whizzed around the circuit,practicing our radio voices , it was good to meet other student pilots as well to swop stories with.

Back to my confuser,only two days left now and if i'm not ready i'll have to bottle out again.

PINK-AVIATOR

rustle
3rd Jun 2003, 05:05
I would say 50% of PPL air law material is total c**p.

By far the best investment for anyone doing a PPL is the PPL Confuser.Rubbish!

Best "investment" is time spent learning the material.

This would also save a lot of ridiculous questions which even a pre-solo PPL student should know the answer to.

A few classics:

How do I file a flight plan? :rolleyes:

Can I fly above cloud with only a PPL and night rating? :rolleyes:

Can I use my IMC-rating in France? :rolleyes:

Umpteen dozen posts/threads confusing VFR/IFR with VMC/IMC. :rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Jun 2003, 05:11
Um, isn't there something about it being a good idea to know some air law before you go solo? - I've never heard of anyone letting you take the exam after first solo. (Question to which I should but don't know the answer: Is that actually legal?)

A n y w ay, when I originally did the air law exam in around 1989 it was almost all sensible stuff, and whilst getting one or two of the more obscure questions wrong probably didn't make you a dangerous pilot I really wouldn't want to be sharing airspace with anyone who scraped through on the nth attempt.

Now, this time around, having not flown for an awful long time, I don't actually legally have to re-take any of the exams, but my school made me do the air law because so much of it has changed (seems sensible). They did say that the new exam had a load of irrelevant crap in it to do with remembering schedules to conventions and suchlike that had no bearing at all on how safe I would be as a pilot, and they offered me a crib to those bits!

IO540-C4D5D
3rd Jun 2003, 14:39
Rustle

I agree that the stuff needs to be learnt. My point was merely that there is a lot in the syllabus which is antiquated and the time spent learning that (just for the exam) could be better spent learning the stuff that really matters.

For example I had a head-on airprox the other day. I turned right (correct); the other plane turned left (incorrect). That is a pretty basic thing to not know.

But let's have a look at the things you listed:

"How do I file a flight plan? "

I was never taught this in the PPL; only that they are needed in certain circumstances.

"Can I fly above cloud with only a PPL and night rating? "

It should be obvious that the Night Rating is nothing to do with flying VMC on top.

Can I use my IMC-rating in France?

The answer is "not as such" but I am afraid this one will keep coming up in various ways. I have it in writing from the CAA that a UK IMC rated PPL can (as far as the CAA is concerned) fly VMC on top in France (VMC on top being IFR* in the UK), provided the French don't mind.

"Umpteen dozen posts/threads confusing VFR/IFR with VMC/IMC. "

That is a truly confusing subject - I have never met an instructor who could explain it clearly. There is that awful matrix in Trevor Thom which gives the airspace versus privileges; the real-life picture, for a straight PPL, is actually far simpler.

*One instructor told me the other day that an IMC rated pilot can fly VMC on top (out of sight of surface) as "VFR" in the UK. I have always done that as "IFR" myself. Nobody I could find could confirm this, and anyway it is rather moot because as IFR you get a better level of ATC service. So.... we continue :O

High Wing Drifter
3rd Jun 2003, 14:55
My flying seems to be cracking on but I have only one exam ,human performance,under my belt and to be honest I just want to move on to another subject now.Navigation next.
Zoiks! You can't go solo without yer Air Law. It is against the rules.

Evo
3rd Jun 2003, 15:09
Is it against the rules? I remember going through this one some time ago, and as far as I can remember it isn't legally required before solo (although most clubs require it - mine did).

Pink_aviator
3rd Jun 2003, 18:14
Sorry
High wing drifter,and GERTRUDE. I just did as i was told.
Who am i to question the wisdom of the CFI .
If it' any consellation, i had read and reread the book.
oh you both do seem cross
I've already had two bollockings today from another thread,and am moving on and learning.
Where are you BIG RED L, you are usually so supportive.
I am legal
PINK- AVIATOR

High Wing Drifter
3rd Jun 2003, 18:32
Evo and Pink,

I stand corrected. It is at the flight school's discression. The only CAA stipulation is that you must have a Class 1 or 2 medical for the solo.

Hey, that's another thing learnt :)

witchdoctor
3rd Jun 2003, 18:34
No solo without Air Law.

Well, let's see - I first did it back in 1990 with a UAS (probably not covered by civvy regs), then I did it again in the US while building hours during ATPL training. Racked up at least 30hrs solo before coming back to the UK and sitting ATPL Air Law exam (along with all the other 'practical' flying exams - Met, Gen Nav, Radio Nav, Flight Planning, VFR Comms, IFR Comms, oh, and the RT licence).

Perhaps you need to clarify the exact circumstances you would be applying this restriction to.

Lawyerboy
4th Jun 2003, 01:48
For what it's worth

1. I went solo a long long time before I took my air law exam - it is, most definitely, within the flight school's discretion; and

2. I failed my air law first time around.

Slightly embarrassing given that I have a law degree, a diploma in legal practice and am on my fourth practicing certificate, but then I never was particularly good at multiple choice.

First time around failed by one - ONE!! - bloody mark, albeit partly because I was using an old Trevor Thom without the ICAO stuff in it. Borrowed an up to date book from my instructor, retook the exam a week later and passed... by two marks.

Now, six months later, I've been faffing about trying to ignore the whole thing, have re-read the same five chapters about meteorology in Thom about 100 times, and find time is swiftly running out on me. So I have pulled my finger out of my posterior and booked my second exam for next Sunday. I have finally woken up to the fact that knowing how to fly (I did my QXC about eight months ago fer chrissakes) ain't much good without a licence.

I don't know. Exams exams exams. I thought I'd done away with all that years ago...:rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Jun 2003, 03:13
I don't know. Exams exams exams. I thought I'd done away with all that years ago...

Er no, not if you're into flying aeroplanes.

One of my instructors (well into his fifties, day job as a test pilot) once said that flying with me had been a nice change from studying for his next exam.

Mr Wolfie
4th Jun 2003, 06:05
This is becoming the thread that refused to die, being dragged up to the top again and again - poor Holloway must be getting peeved off with the regular reminders of his lack of prowess in remembering obscure trivia.
:confused:

Have you passed it yet Holloway? Let us know (and put this thread to bed).

Mr. W

BRL
4th Jun 2003, 21:04
I agree with you there Wolfie, he can 'put it to bed' by deleting it or I can do it if he doesn't want to press the button.......... ;)

TheKentishFledgling
5th Jun 2003, 00:01
In case Holloway already gave up reading the thread, he did pass, and is now a PPL :)

As for the not-soloing-without-air-law......
I'm aiming to solo on my 16th birthday, 25th of next month, and ideally, my flying school normally insist on an air law pass before soloing, but it's not a legal requirement.

One of the instructors said they may well make an exception for me, as I'll have had my GCSEs the weeks before my sixteenth - but actually, I'll have over a month between last GCSE and birthday, so between parties and hangovers while I'm on hols, I'm going to try and get as many of the exams out of the way - the stuff's in me head - just gotta revise it!

tKF

handyandyuk
5th Jun 2003, 01:28
Apart from being yet another in praise of the PPL Confuser, I can only say the one minor problem I had with my PPL exams was the fact that they are all based around fixed wing and I'm one of the odd types who does the fling wing thing:cool:

Such things as stopping distances on various surfaces didn't mean a great deal to me. And I don't foresee me spending much time worrying about operating performance about FL245.

Either way I still passed.:D

Spikeee
13th Jul 2003, 17:56
I havent read all the posts cos theres like 5 pages but i have the PPL confuser and its great, has helped me pass all the exams but on my 'planning and performance' exam the question

Why is full flap selected during the approach and landing phase of a flight?

A: The safe flying speed os omcreased and a flatter approach is achieved which improves vision.

B: the approach speed is reduced and a steeper approach path is flown which improves vision.

C: the approach speed is reduced and a flatter approach path is flown which improves vision.

The confuser has this down as C a flatter app' to improve vis' so when this question came up on the paper i thought great i've seen this before.

But when i got the paper marked that was the only question wrong, the papers answer was a steeper app' to improve vis'.

Its question 14. of the confuser.

I should have noticed but i trusted the book, just something to look out for.

Spike

BRL
14th Jul 2003, 04:28
Hi Spike. Your post above should be a separate thread alone rather than in this thread. But it is up to you if you just want it here, I am merely giving you a bit of advice. Most people have read this one and looking at the hit-count for the last few days most are staying away from it. If I was you I would start a separate thread all about what you have written above. I think that would be a better option and an interesting thread too.

ratsarrse
18th Jul 2003, 02:29
Far too modest to start a new thread, but not so modest as to not want to proudly proclaim: PASSED ME AIR LAW!!!!!!
Having generally dithered an inordinate amount even by my own high standards of avoidance, I managed to get a surprising 95% Some might say that I should have maybe attained 100% after starting in February and nursing that poxy Trevor Thom book for 5 months.

I am definitely not going to do Met next, as just looking at the same book again produces an instant sensation of lethargy. Human Factors I reckon. Mmmm, nice blue book for a change.

TheKentishFledgling
18th Jul 2003, 02:36
Nice one mate!

I did it in that order - air law, human perfs and tomorrow, I've got the RT exam!

:ooh:

tKF

Holloway
18th Jul 2003, 18:08
Sorry, been miles away :) yes Im a PPL now, I thought u knew that :)

Good luck with ur exams :)

drauk
18th Jul 2003, 20:13
Holloway, do you sleep in that little brown plastic cover? :)