PDA

View Full Version : Gatco Legal Cover

KPax
21st Jul 2002, 15:20
Does anyone out there have any up to date info on what legal cover being a GATCO member entitles you to in the event of a court case involving an Air Traffic incident. With the impending F15 trial about to start rumour has it that the cover some of us think we have is not what it seems.

Standard Noise
21st Jul 2002, 22:06
No idea, but I was under the impression that Gatco have a corporate insurance policy that would cover any costs that may arise (probably with a £50K limit or so).
The cover is supposed to be paid for by part of the monthy subscription, so if it turns out that any ATCO is refused cover under the Gatco scheme, we should all collectively ask for our money back.

qwerty2
22nd Jul 2002, 09:32
Most controllers rely on their Union for such support but .........

NATS controllers that believe Prospect will cover Legal Expenses should think again.

Since April I've been trying to get Prospect Headquarters to confirm the level of Legal Support given to a controller in the event of a disaster.

On the 16th April , a Tracey Thornton of Prospect assured me that Ian Findlay (Aviation Officer ) would contact me with the information. So far nothing heard!!!

My Local Reps are unable to provide factual information and I cannot find any references to Legal Aid beyond that covered by Health and Safety Legislation.

Perhaps another reason to dump Prospect.

HounslowHarry
22nd Jul 2002, 21:32
Qwerty2 .....Perhaps another reason to follow the correct processes rather than dump the union.

If you take this concern to your reps, they will pass it up via the BEC (ie the representative structure) and you will get an answer.

It may be not be the answer you want as in all legal matters the edges can be grey.

I read the ATCOs' branch have a new National Officer who, i believe is David Luxton.

Going on the pay example, follow the right process and you might get a proper answer.

torpids
23rd Jul 2002, 07:25
Don't be ridiculous HounslowHarry. We have been trying
through every means to get an answer on this question
from Prospect for months. As you are so confident perhaps you would like to follow the procedure you suggest and post the official response here. Please do.